Tuesday, March 20, 2012

So great to be at home

Last week was a nice week for the most part in Vancouver. The weather was crappy except one night (last Tuesday). The funny thing is that it actually snowed that day too but it didnt stick so i went out to explore. I asked a coworker to join me and we took the train downtown to the waterfront. It was cold and cloudy but it wasnt raining or snowing. I really enjoyed walking around and seeing what i could. My main goal was to see where the Olympic torch stood. I just really like being around the water too. There was a gorgeous science center on the water, and the stadiums where the sporting events and concerts take place. Lots to do but of course it was late after work so just pictures of the outside will have to do.  The following night i went to dinner with the same coworker (her name is Rani) and went to the coolest little beach town near the US border called White Rock. It had a nice pier, and tons of places to eat,e tc. The downside that evening was that it was raining buckets constantly almost the whole time. I got a few pics between breaks in the rain but its really dark and MAN was it freezing! The winds near the ocean were fierce. I would really love to go back another time and i want to drive an hour or so to Whistler. I 've always heard that it's a beautiful place to visit at any time of year but the rain was just too much for me last week. The traffic there too was crazy. I went to a Harley shop one night after work to get a tshirt for my boyfriend and myself. It was supposed to only take around 45 minutes but was almost 2 hours. I was confused for a minute and thought i was in LA for a second with the traffic.

At science bldg near stadium- Vancouver

The 2010 Olympic Torch

I thought it looked like Legos but its called Digital Orca. My friend Rani with me

White Rock, BC. The Canada flag behind me on the beach
That was my first visit to Vancouver so i had no idea what to expect. I will say that my hotel was not far from the airport but i was in a strange area for sure. All the signs were in a different language on all the places around me (like in Chinese or something Asian). The signs werent all that was Asian. All the staff and most patrons were also Asian. I dont have any clue of the differences between Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc. The food at the breakfast buffet was very strange. They had oriental noodles , a hot pot of some kind of soup with things to add to the bowl, and mystery foods i would never expect to see for breakfast.  It was very different but it didnt bother me in any way. Just a new part of our world to experience. AND I found a Starbucks very close so i was happy girl!

Yum, noodles for breakfast. Chopsticks anyone?

This and that to add to my breakfast soup. I have no idea what are in these bowls.
I normally travel on Friday's but this week wasnt filled with many participants which allowed me to go home last Thursday evening. This worked out perfectly because i needed to drive to Oklahoma at some point Friday. I had tickets along with my brother Jeremy and his wife Sarah to go to a rock concert by Chevelle. It was soooo awesome! There was a few tense moments that made me uneasy when the mosh pits and the crazy pushing each other in waves got out of hand. Almost every song had a moment that a fight would break out and i had enough. Sarah and I both were not enjoying that and we left the front of stage to go much much farther to the back. It was still just fine and we could see the stage with no problems. The place was a dive country bar with no seats whatsoever but when you think about it,a perfect place for a good hard core rock concert. There's nothing you can break or mess up really. It was so flippin hot in there though. Goodness! i had sweat coming from every single pore and it was not pretty. If i go back there again, to hell with looking somewhat cute for a concert! I will wear a t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers for sure. I would say flip-flops but some jackass may step on my toes in their excitement and i dont want to chance it.

Sarah, Jeremy, myself about to leave for concert

Chevelle!!!
That was pretty much my week and weekend and i couldnt be happier NOT to pack this week and be traveling. I love catching up with my family and some friends this week.
Be cool!!

1 comment:

  1. I love your photos! Sounds like a wonderful time!
    Stoppin' by from SheSpeaks Blogger Society and am a new follower!
    You can Check it Out! with Dawn at http://checkitoutdawn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!