Monday, April 23, 2012

Books Books Books

I love love love to read and I cant remember I time that I didn’t. I pretty much have to read something (magazine, paper, book) every night before I go to bed. I don’t have a specific type of book that I stick to either. I like horrors, mystery, romance, comedy, everything. I was a lucky girl in that my mom and my grandma’s always read to me when I was younger. I was such a nerd in middle school that when I was old enough to start babysitting, I asked for books instead of money. The one lady I babysat for would take me with her to book store and I could pick out 2 books every time. I was in Heaven! I read all the Chronicles of Narnia (7 books) in 11 days during the summer after 6th grade. I would read and read then scramble like a crazy girl to get my chores done before my mom got home from work.  I am of the age that Judy Blume was in her prime and I devoured her books one after another. I loved Are you there God, it’s me Margaret?, Deenie, Blubber, and who can forget sneaking Forever from my teachers and Mom. I felt so grown up and could relate to Judy’s books the whole time.

I get most of my reading done when I’m traveling. I get to start reading while waiting to board, then I read during the flight, and I read once I get checked into the hotel. I can usually read about 2 books in a week. I love having the good ol’fashion book with paper pages for the most part but I am starting to warm up to reading them off my iPad too. I just have so many books on my shelves that I need to read. One of my personal goals is to read my “real” books first to start clearing out the shelves then start reading more on my iPad.  I’ll admit it’s so handy to just buy a book from wherever I am on the iPad when I’m traveling so I don’t have to hunt down a bookstore.
I just completed the Hunger Games last month and I am a big fan. They were so entertaining and I couldn’t put the books down. I haven’t seen the movie yet but I will. I am usually so disappointed in the movies because the books are so much more detailed. I still like to see the movies to make the comparisons.  I finished a book last night that was a final book of a series.  So now I have completed the whole Wicked series by Gregory Maguire. They start in this order - Wicked, Son of a Witch, A Lion Among Men, and Out of OZ: the final volume of the Wicked years. The book Wicked is the one that the musical was based from.  The musical is my all-time most favorite musical and I’ve seen it 3 times (Chicago, Columbus, and Dallas). The funny thing is that the book is totally for adults and I cringe when I think about all the Moms buying their daughters the book after the see the show. Like there are serious language and sex in the book that I wouldn’t want my nieces reading at their age. The author makes up so many words in these books that I think is so creative and funny that he does that. I can see where some people though could get stuck on this and think” what in the h*#l is this?!
I’m excited to start my next book tonight because its by a very funny author who is a famous blogger. Have you heard of The Bloggess? She’s on a book tour now and I really want to make a point to see her in Dallas. Oh my , is she hilarious! Her book is called “Let’s pretend this never happened ( a mostly true memoir)”.  I preordered in on Amazon so I can read from my Kindle app on iPad. Can’t wait!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this review-I have always wonderd about these books and always wanted to read them but also know now that they aren't for my little girl:)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!