Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Free the Girls- Bra Drive

One my favorite sweet blogger friends Danielle at Secrets of a Sweet Southern Girl came across another blog called Mrs. Pates who is sponsoring a Bra Drive for a wonderful charity called Free the Girls . Danielle has a side business making jewelry and is giving away a prize to the person who sends in most bras. I really wanted to participate in this cause so I sent her a package of 5 of my own bras to say that I was in. I had no idea i was going to become such a cheerleader for this.
What I didn’t expect was my competitive streak in me to make a large appearance. Last Friday I was running errands and came across a garage sale. I actually got out of my truck and told the woman that I was looking for something very specific and Do they have any bras to sell? I explained that I was helping a charity called Free the Girls and told her about it. She went into her house and came out with 4 bras and said just to take them since they were for a charity. As I drove away I thought Holy cow that was easy! Unfortunately I got very busy the rest of the day and that was the only garage sale I came across.  I also sent an email to my female coworkers asking them for their bras. Awkward but they know me.  I really want to win a prize from Danielle!
I woke up Saturday morning pretty early and decided to head out to a few more garage sales. I kinda froze at the first 2 sales and didn’t ask for the bras. I think it was because they were surrounded with people and I didn’t want to distract them with my charity speech. I quickly got over it though and I went to 6 garage sales in total.  There were 2 ladies that stood firm and sold their bras for a dollar, one lady sold me 6 bras for 2$, and 2 ladies donated them free for the charity, one sale didn’t have any bras at all.  All in all it was a success for finding bras. One of the women who donated her bras was very excited to be donating to charity. She had explained that she was a transplant from Katrina and that she had huge understanding for helping out others. She and her husband were very sweet and said that they had to have help from many charities when they left New Orleans. She stopped what she was doing ( her husband kept watch) and went inside her house to dig for some bras.  It was just a really nice moment exchanged between 2 strangers wanting to do good. We even hugged. J
I have 19 bras to get in the mail which will make 24 total that I’m sending to Danielle. From there, Danielle will send all the bras she’s collected by July 28.
What is this charity all about? Well, here is what I found off their website:  Free the Girls is a non-profit organization that provides job opportunities to women rescued from sex trafficking. 100% of public donations directly fund job creation projects.  Why Bras? Second hand clothing is a profitable market in many countries around the world. Bras are usually sought after items. Some of the girls in this program make more than minimum wages in their community by selling the bras.
If you have any bras that you’re willing to part with- go to Danielle’s blog and send them to her Po Box.  If you don’t have any, one of the most satisfying feelings I got was finding out how much women are willing to help each other out. Go this weekend to garage sales and don’t be afraid to ask. I had to pay for a few but not much. Complete strangers handed me their bras and was happy to do it!
Have a great day!

5 comments:

  1. Holli thanks so much for getting involved with this! I can't wait to see how many bras we collect for this organization :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blown away! Thank you so much for doing this, I mean it gives me goosebumps to see so many women get involved and running after this! Plus my hubby is super proud, he's a texan. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb blog............!
    For photo designing template & make your photo more attractive and good looking
    http://elegantmemorials.com/funeral-programs

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!