Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Head out on the highway- Looking for adventure in whatever comes my way

So how was your Labor Day weekend? I had probably one of the best weekends I’ve had in a while.  Friday, my honey and I drove to Oklahoma on the Harley to visit a few days with my brother, Sarah, and my nieces.  From our place to their place is almost 250 miles one way.  We got a late start and didn’t leave until 11am which was not my preference because it was going to be hot but my BF had some work stuff to get done before we left. We stopped a few hours up the road in Gainesville, TX for lunch and we ate at the FRIED Pie CO & Restaurant.  I’ve been there a few times and it’s so yummy. I had the coconut cream fried pie and my honey got a peach one. I didn’t think about taking a pic until after we ate them.  Todd (yes my honey has a name) also had to catch a conference call during lunch so I had time to people watch.  I just love to eat at local restaurants during lunch hour in little small towns. Gainesville is very rural with lots of farmers and ranchers around. Living in Dallas, it’s not every day you get to see people wearing spurs. The whole place was filled with old guys wearing overalls or wranglers and boots (with spurs). 
When's the last time you saw spurs?

We arrived at my brother’s around 5 after we got stuck in rush hour traffic in Oklahoma City. It was frickin HOT peeps on the bike and I was not too happy with the ride. My backrest was not high enough and the bike had pegs for the passengers which is not too comfortable.  When I mentioned to Jeremy that I dreaded my ride home he just happened to have a back rest that fit my bike and it was a huge improvement. His was higher up on my back and I could lean back on it more. I didn’t take a pic of it but I can later. I was not going home without buying some floor boards and switching out the pegs so that was our ride for the next day. Jeremy’s buddy at work loaned him his Harley so that we could all ride together.  Saturday we started off our day with breakfast at the sweetest little place called Marketplace in Meeker. I think I mentioned it last time I went there. It’s a family owned café that is decorated with bible verses. They even have an Ark room for special events. The meals are named after biblical characters and they are huge quantities. I really was excited to take Todd there because I told him all about the place from last time. When we were done with breakfast, we dropped off the girls at the house and we got ready for our ride. Jeremy and Sarah hopped on the street glide that was a loaner and we jumped on ours and went west to Reno,OK. We stopped at a Harley dealership to buy the floorboards and Jeremy brought his tools to put them on for us in the parking lot. YAY- free labor.  We stopped in Bricktown which is in downtown Oklahoma City for lunch and at a sports bar called Brix. I really enjoyed spending my day riding side by side my baby brother. Y’all I seriously get choked up on the love I have for him.  I am blessed to have the relationship I have with him. Jeremy is not just my brother but one of my best friends. Jeremy’s wife Sarah is unbelievable and  they are the just the cutest darn couple you can come across! I’ve mentioned a gazillion times how much I adore my nieces and just spending time with them makes me smile for days afterwards.  Ok, back to my weekend- my A.D.D just kicked in.  After we returned from our ride , Jeremy gave the girls a ride around the block too. They are both naturals and love being on the Harley. We start ‘em young in our family. Hehe.  Sarah made a yummy chicken casserole from Pinterest recipe and my stepdad came over to  eat dinner with us. My stepdad is in poor health and I haven’t seen him in a while. When I saw him the other night it caught my breath. He appearance has drastically changed and he’s lost too much weight. One thing is that he still has that spark in his personality and as he says “piss and vinegar”. I am very glad that I got to spend a few hours with him during my visit too.
Cafe in Meeker, OK

Ark stage

Maci,Sarah, and Brynna
Maci at the Ark podium

My new floorboards (equals happy feet)

Sportsbar in Bricktown, OKC

Honey and me at red light (Sarah took pic)
Jeremy and Sarah- aren't they cute?!


Todd and I did not want to be riding in the hot hot sun so we got up early on Sunday and left Jeremy’s around 8am. We stopped at McDonald’s in Moore (home of Toby Keith for those country fans) to grab a quick breakfast but we had a  good head start behind us.  We rolled into our garage right at noon and I was ready to get off the bike. We stopped twice to give our butts a break and to gas up so we made great timing. After vegging on the couch for a few hours watching season 4 of Sons of Anarchy on DVD, we took Todd’s parents and both his kids to dinner. Now my honey and I both got some good family time in this weekend.  Yesterday we met a few of our riding buddies for a breakfast run that we like to go.  Mary’s Brazos Café in Weatherford (west of Ft Worth) is a little hole in the wall restaurant but has the best food. Good southern cooking like grits and biscuits and gravy is just what I like for a long ride. There was 9 of us total in our group -4 couples and a friend in their car. We were all done with breakfast by 9:30am so of course we decided to ride for a while.   The  location we were at was perfect for riding. We went through Weatherford, Mineral Wells, and all the small towns in between.  Some stops were included here and there for refreshment breaks and parked in the shade. I think by the time we got back yesterday we rode around 200 miles.  I have a funny biker tan and sunburn behind my neck that is a little uncomfortable from the rides. Riding the Harley 4 days in a row for miles and miles each run has also made my butt a little sore. Seriously!  I had a blast and I love being on the bike but dang my hiney isn’t as tough as it used to be.  All I can think of is that I actually rode all the way from Dallas to Sturgis, South Dakota years ago and I don’t remember being so sore. Getting old sucks!  Good news is that I watched the rest of the episodes for Sons of Anarchy last night and so I’m completely caught up and ready for the new season to start this month. WOOHOO!!

Todd's ready for some breakfast

My weed mustache drooped (me and Bobbi)

Place we pulled over for a water break

So glad that this is a short work week~

5 comments:

  1. I love eating at local restaurants too. Fried pie sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fried pies are the best! They're individual pies made homemade with whatever filling. They're really popular in Texas.

      Delete
  2. I found you via book blogs and am a new follower:) here is mine: http://andreaheltsley.blogspot.com
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had an amazing time. I am literally drooling over that coconut pie. After you described that my brain went soft!! LOLOLOL Bet the ride as a bit better with the seat back extension and a better foot rest. ♥

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!