Sunday, October 14, 2012

State Fair Bliss

Hey everyone so how's your weekend been so far? After talking about going to the Texas State Fair, We finally did it and went this past Friday. My honey and I both took a vacation day to play and it Rocked! We actually started the day at our nearest Harley dealership which of course put Todd in a great mood. Harley has a big 18 wheeler with trailer filled with all the models of each bike. As long as you have a motorcycle license and the proper required clothing (helment, boots, etc) you can sign up and take any of the bikes for a whirl with the rest of the group. We drove a big Ultra Classic and man was it so comfortable! I have a feeling we may be riding a bigger bike very soon. My baby brother wants to buy the bike we have now so it's a win-win!

Once we were done with Harley we were Fair bound. It was such a beautiful day outside. It got a little hot but i'm always hot so whats new. We arrived just a little after noon so first thing to do was get in line for a Fletcher's corny-dog. Eating a corny dog is a tradition for the fair since i was a kid. Our schools in Dallas actually gives free tickets to the kids and specific fair day for the schools to go to. Its a big deal!
The great thing about our fair is to see what the latest craziest thing they are frying up this year. Y'all, the options were limitless. Seriously! I didnt take pictures of even a quarter of the weird fried booths.
I also have to have a funnel cake and Tornado tator twister to go with my corny dog every year (fair days is NOT the day to count calories).  Towards the end of the day when we had some time for our other snacks to settle, we wanted to try a few fried desserts that we've never had before. I had the fried snickers bar last year and it was tasty. So, i had the fried pineapple upside down cake and it was AWESOME!It had a round pineapple ring in the middle so it was almost healthy, right?! I have to say that the show stealer this year for us was the deep fried samoa girlscout cookie. Y'all , my mouth is watering just telling you about it! The cookie melted inside so it was warm chocolate goodness and then they topped it off with more toasted coconut. I swear, one of the best things that i've put in my mouth and belly!
Todd and i rode our large Texas Star ferris wheel and it so clear in Dallas , we could see for miles. It's my favorite ride because it goes slow and you get a great view of the city. This weekend was also Texas/Ou weekend which is a very very big traditional game in the Cotton Bowl. I didnt take a pic of OU simply for principle. HAHA. I have many family members that were longhorns so i am pretty biased.( unfortunately OU beat Texas really bad in yesterday's game. Boo). After we got our free cookies from the girl scouts booth and checked out all the car show's, we had had a pretty full day. I had so much  fun and i'm happy that my honey and i had a great Date Night that lasted all day.
Have a great week- talk to ya soon!
Now here are a ton of pics and this isnt all of them.....



Death grip on my corny dog- Bog Tex behind me

Texas Star ferris wheel

We shared ride with 2 high school girls who took pic


Fried pineapple upside cake- Delish!

I WAS tall enough to ride-whew!

Graffiti wall in Fair Park across from the fair

Funnel cake baby

Tornado tator twister

Girl Scouts 100th anniv. This is ALL BUTTER

Butter creation part 2

Honey holding the deep fried samoa. Both are yummy!

Hook'em Horns


How cute is this VW bug?!


12 comments:

  1. Texas really knows how to have a State Fair! That Twister Tater looks as tasty as the Corny Dog! I'm so glad y'all had a wonderful time! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, there Holli Girl! Today is the day I am supposed to tell you that I am your Blog Angel. 'Hope your week is wonderful! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY, Marci! I am Blessed to have you as my Angel. I am so excited to have met you through our blogs. You rock!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Kim, it just goes without mentioning that if i'm at any kind of fair- a funnel cake will be involved. LOL
      I just cant seem to lose any weight. hahaha

      Delete
  4. Newest follower, I found you through the texas blogger group! I love the post!
    -melanie
    meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie! I'm so glad to have you as a follower. I'm also following you. Dontcha just love our texas blogger group?!

      Delete
  5. I popped over after you visited my blog! You had me at State Fair Food. In Minnesota we have one of the biggest State Fairs in the country and we make it our mission to EAT our way from one end to the other! The joke here is that everything is 'on a stick' so if we could figure out how to put the deep fried pineapple upside down cake on a stick we'd be in like Flynn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend that moved to Texas from MN but she tries to get to your fair when she can. I would love to have some of your fried cheese curds. :)
      Thank you for stopping by. I've followed your blog for a while now.

      Delete
  6. That looks so fun! I have never been! Crazy, huh? Your hat is cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda- quick- get in your vehicle and drive right now to the Fair! It's so much fun and everyone needs to experience it once a year. I think this weekend is the end of it.

      Delete
  7. i saw another blogger raving about the fletcher's corn dogs. makes me wish that i could come eat and maybe rave about them too

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!