Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Big Toy Run and more

This weekend was the annual Big Texas Toy Run and it was frickin awesome!  A group forms in Ft Worth (West)and another group forms in Dallas (East)- then both groups arrive in Grand Prairie at the same time. The route is on Interstate 30 and the exits , on ramps and the right lane is shut down specifically for all the motorcycles for 20 miles and for a full hour (1 pm to 2 pm).  People pull over and bring lawn chairs on the medians and side of the roads on both sides to watch all the bikes go by.  It’s such an incredible thing to see with all the different kinds of bikes, paint jobs, and many bikes decorated their bikes like Christmas trees.
 The fee was 10 $ a bike and you have to bring a new unwrapped toy. There was estimated around 15,000 bikes total that showed up for this event. That’s A LOT Y’all!!!  All the money and toys go to many great charities in DFW metroplex.  It was an all day event  and it was my first time to come from the Ft Worth side. I’ve always entered from the Dallas side but we joined some of our friends that live in Ft Worth for breakfast and so we spent day there.  There was even some yummy food trucks in our location.
On Sunday I participated also in the annual Christmas party and church services at the Gainesville Corrections Facility. It’s a boys prison up in North Texas and the CMA groups have the 3rd Sunday’s of the month to do both church services. There are 2 dorms that are connected by a lobby room in each building and we are given 2 dorms who get to celebrate and have a Christmas party. There are around 9 boys in each dorm so we have food and gifts for 18 boys. We bring in pizzas, cookies, and sodas for them to eat and their gifts are 2 pairs of socks and a journal to write in. I used to be very involved with this ministry a few years ago and was a mentor to 2 boys and held a bible study  once a week. When I started traveling with my job  more ,I had to give up my volunteering at the school.  I make a point to attend the Christmas party so I can visit with them and sing Christmas carols. We have a lot of fun and I know some of these boys don’t get any visitors at all.
So here are a bunch of pictures of the Toy Run and the entrance to the boys facility.








Dallas merging in with us Ft Worth group

Canam Sleigh


Our toy

Annual T-shirt

Who knew Storm Trooper's play at Toy Run fundraisers?



Happy Tuesday and God Bless!!

10 comments:

  1. This just warms my heart!!!! What an amazing event, and you my dear, are a gem for giving of your time at the boys' prison. I can't imagine the joy you must have brought them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweety pie! The boys are more a blessing to me for sure.
      Merry Christmas

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful weekend of giving! You are such a blessing to so many! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! You're a blessing to me

      Delete
  3. I am so jealous - it looks awesome! Not to mention that you brought joy to so many other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Harley brings me mucho joy!! :)

      Delete
  4. What a great weekend chica! I bet you made boy's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun - i look so forward to this every year.

      Delete
  5. How awesome! What a wonderful way to celebrate the holidays and spread the love!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy the Toy Run fund raisers and spending time with those boys. Great weekend for sure.
      Merry Christmas

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!