Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Yawn Stretch Oh Hello There

Well Happy New Year folks!!! I feel like a bear waking up from hibernation. I missed you all and hope your holidays were awesome. Do you even bother with New Year’s Resolutions? I used to come up with a list and of course never completed most of it every year. This year I am not making any resolutions. That’s right- ZERO!  As most of y’all know by now, I got engaged on 12-12-12. I have a wedding to plan for which is kinda stressful enough without setting any more goals that I may or may not achieve. And by the way, I really don’t want to be one of THOSE bloggers who become obsessed with their wedding and don’t blog about any thing else. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, it’s just not me.  I may be reaching out and asking your thoughts on some things here and there regarding the wedding but I hope not too much. Remember I’ve NEVER been married before.
I will say that I have already become a little overwhelmed by just trying to set the date. I cant decide on a venue which is holding up the decision on the date.  I am in a little shock too how EVERYONE has the nerve to tell me the what and how and where to have the wedding. I have suggested a tentative date and my family members said “ oh no you don’t want to do then” its too hot. Guess what people, I live in Frickin Texas where it’s a few degrees less than Hell most days. I wore shorts and flip flops last month in December so I’m kinda out of options for a “cool” month.  Oh well. I WILL find a place and I WILL set a date and it WILL be Wonderful!
Moving on, did you go to any parties , throw your own parties, or anything special for New Years? My Fiance (giggle- that takes some getting used to) and I went to a party of some close friends of ours and we had so much fun. They are very much into wines and they hired a Sommelier for the evening. They paired up wines by regions and had snacks that compliment the wines. I am so excited that I found a few more wines that were incredible and cant wait to go buy. I also made an appetizer while there and it was a huge hit! Even the lady sommelier said she would be using my dish for future wine tastings. I cant take the credit for the recipe because a friend in Northern California made it for me one night when I was working in Cali.  I don’t know if there is a name for it either so I just call it  Pear Crostini’s”.
Here’s the funny thing- I don’t even like pears. I love the smell but I think it’s the gritty texture part that gets to me.  Anyhoo…. Here’s the what and how:
3 large pears of any kind
Sprinkles of sage ( or chopped cardamom)
Stick of butter
A container of Gorgonzola or Blue Cheese crumbles ( the gorgonzola is awesome but I had to use blue cheese the other night).
A skinny loaf of French or sour dough bread.

Put half of the stick of butter in a skillet and add your pears that have been chopped up very small. Add the sage but very small so that it doesn’t overtake.  Let it sauté to get very soft (almost mushy). While the pear is cooking, slice your bread to several small round pieces. Melt the other half of butter and use a brush to butter the small breads. Heat oven to 350 and toast them for about 15 minutes. Once pears are done, grab small spoon and add the mixture to all the crostinis.  Then put cheese crumbles on top of the pears and put back in oven until the cheese melts (10 minutes).
For the record, they were paired up with the Merlots and it was heavenly!
Me making my crostinis (the gal on left was the sommelier)



I do hope to blog much more and stay less in my funks. If I haven’t said lately, thank you for all of you who follow my blog and you’re sweet support this past year.

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I have that same little hat/headband!!! I wore it on NYE! Haha.

    I'm with you on resolutions. I have so many pots on the fire already & now a wedding and a possible move? I think I'm gonna stick with what's already on the plate!

    Looks like you guys had a great New Year's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya lady. We're both going to be very busy gals this year for sure.
      As for the headband, i got it at SteinMart for 5$ and great minds think alike!!

      Delete
  2. Mu sweet friend, Holli....as far as your wedding goes remember one thing - you and your man are the only ones that you need to worry about pleasing. If you try to please everyone it will just make you crazy. Enjoy every bit if it and soak it in....it is after all your day. Sounds like you had a wonderful New Year's...wishing you all the best and hope that we can get something going on the exercise front really soon. Hugs!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement and sweet words. I really am trying to bask in my moment but i've being asked what the date is at least 10 times a day. I feel very pressured.
      I hope your New Years was good and YES i cant wait to start something this year soon on the ol exercise.

      Delete
  3. How in the heck did I miss your big news??? CONGRATS to you!!! That is awesome!!! Oh yea, my dream job would be a sommelier. Plus, I love how the word rolls off the tongue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! I would LOVE to be a sommelier just so i can have it on my business cards. LOL.
      Thanks on the Congrats. I only posted once announcing my engagement and havent gone into much details since. Are you on Instagram? i posted a pic of my ring on there. My instagram is: holliworld

      Delete
  4. can you come over and make me a pear crostini?! that sounds amazing!
    happy new year!
    and, CONGRATS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do what you want on this wedding it's your memories. I am so excited for you! Okay now come be my chef! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That recipe sounds wonderful!! Thank you! When our daughter lived in Texas, not being used to the heat made it feel like a few degrees shy of Hell! You crack me up! Your wedding will be as wonderful as you are! What a lucky, lucky guy! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on getting engaged - didn't pick it up and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your engagement! From one Texas gal to another, I've been married twice, and from experience I will tell you to do what you want. Don't give in to people who suddenly became wedding consultants. They probably think they are helping, but all that pressure to make others happy will boggle your mind! It's you and your man's wedding, so have it the way you two want it. Those crostini's sound awesome! I bet they'd be great with brie cheese too. I wonder how many Weight Watchers point those are? Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I must say you are ADORABLE!!! Congrats on the engagement chica I'm very happy for you and can't wait to help you plan this amazing event!!!! Ha Ha.... Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!