Thursday, March 28, 2013

I Stand for what I believe

Photo: SUPREME COURT hearing arguments TODAY on Prop 8 and TOMORROW on DOMA. Please SHOW YOUR SUPPORT by changing your profile picture to this pic representing EQUALITY, or by CLICKING 'LIKE' to spread the word.

LIVE: Listen to the oral arguments now: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_audio_detail.aspx?argument=12-144

READ the transcript here: http://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/argument_transcripts/12-144a.pdf

Please support Marriage Equality.  Thanks! Diane-Joy Eisnitz

Have you seen this? Many people are sharing it and or making this their profile picture. This symbol is for equality in marriage.  My post today is not to persuade you to think the same way I think. In fact I respect your opinion or difference of opinion regardless. I also understand that I could lose a follower or 2 for what I believe in. I’m OK with that as well!!  Do I consider myself a BELIEVER in JESUS and GOD? Yes, as a matter of fact I DO!!!   I also believe that to judge others is not up to me and that I don’t need to concern myself with who can marry who. We will all find out who is accepted or not by GOD when we meet HIM at the Pearly Gates.  I was raised catholic and attended Catholic schools up into high school.  I lived in California during my middle school years and my mom’s boss (Bev) at the time happened to be gay.  At 12 I don’t know a whole lot or understand anything about sexuality but what I did know is that my parents trusted Bev and Bev’s girlfriend to babysit me one weekend when they had to travel out of town on business trip for the weekend.  I was treated like a princess and I loved it with moms company would have company parties. I was always invited and Bev always included me in any holiday gifts. Hey , when you’re 12 , you’re always all about the gifts!  We even invited Bev and her partner to my confirmation which was a big deal and only had 4 tickets per family. We didn’t have any other family around us ( they were here in Dallas) and so they were there.  I remember one night having a serious discussion with my Mom and crying because I was so confused. I wanted to love Bev and wanted to make sure it was OK because of my strict religious beliefs being taught. My mother has always been a very liberal loving soul. She taught me  right then that she is trying to raise me to be a woman who will make my own wise decisions with no judgement and to follow my heart. She would not tolerate any Hate or bullying from me and that I need to love the person regardless of what any religious organization tells me.
Today I have so many gay friends in my life that I honestly know my life would shine much less brighter if they weren’t in it. In fact 2 of my closest friends are gay and both of them and their partners will be at my wedding.  My one friend Michael has been so supportive and loving and the perfect friend for many years. He gave me a free airline ticket one year  (before I traveled and earned points) to fly my Mother in from Montana when we both couldn’t afford it. He understands the importance of family and the need for my mom. Michael was raised in a loving ,church going family in the South and his parents have accepted his choice many years ago. Just like the ol joke goes, show me a family now that doesn’t have a gay and mine would be no exception. My sweet cousin Layne is gay and he came out to his right after high school graduation.  He moved to London where his partner (Clive) is from 5 years ago and they are legally married there. My cousin deserves to live somewhere where he can hold hands with his husband as they walk into the grocery store and not be judged or even worse threatened.  Can you imagine growing up in Red Neck East Texas and being gay. He literally is scared to walk with Clive inside walmart  in fear of being hurt. Yes this still happens. Do you need reminded of  Matthew Shepard in Montana?  There are countless hate crimes where gay men and women were beaten and killed . For what?!  Layne and Clive have been together for 10 years, Michael and his partner have been together for 15, my friend Kevin and his partner have been together for 10, and my friend Fred and his partner have been together 28 years people! Do you see that LOVE is LOVE and their relationships is what I’ve seen as a model for long lasting commitment and love. Its because I’ve seen them work like any other couple I know to make things last.
I cant NOT love my friends and my cousin because they are Gay. I  just won’t let anyone tell me that they are any less a person with rights as I am.  The symbol above is truly a gesture on Facebook that has already made the Global news for the support of equality. Little things can make great things happen!
Have a lovely Wednesday Y’all!!

19 comments:

  1. I was raised Catholic as well, and struggled when I was younger. But its funny our we can reconcile our faith with our love for all mankind and see the beauty in love. I wrote my law school comment on this exacty topic. Good for you for standing up for what you believe in while still holding strong in your faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth is i'm a sinner by many people in God's eyes by living with my fiance. But its not up to anyone else to criticize or judge my character. I sin but by gosh i'm on my knees praising and praying every morning and night and i believe that GOD does forgive me and he loves me anyway. I just know in my heart that he LOVES my gay friends just as much as he loves me.

      Delete
  2. Great minds think alike!! No seriously I love your post! Can I just say it sounds like you have one heck of a mama!! She is great! I have not always had the best relationship with my mom, but she also would not tolerate hate or bullying and for that, I am thankful. I may not have listened to her in the beginning, but her words changed me. Thank you for talking about your faith and how you were still able to see “love” in different lifestyles and it was okay. Lately it seems I hear too many bible verses on how I am a bad person because I believe in Gay rights. It is nice to hear religious people acting religious. Aren’t religious people suppose to be a loving bunch of people anyway? You did an amazing job on this post. If you don’t mind, I would like to share it. You writing is beautiful.
    p.s. Congrats on the engagement! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such an encouraging comment. I am so Blessed to have my free-spirited , loving, hippie Momma!! I've learned so much from her. I would be honored if you want to share my post. :)
      And thanks for the Congrats. I'm so excited!

      Delete
  3. Well said. Who are we to judge. Everyone has the right to a committed relationship with equal rights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes maam we do!! My gay friends have had longer relationships than my hetero friends.

      Delete
  4. This is perfect. I wrote something similar on Tuesday, and I had a comment saying something to the effect of, "If your goal is to 'get and stay right with God,' you may want to examine him truths and not fall into the popular opinion."

    uhhhhh. (1) If it were truly the popular opinion, we wouldn't have to fight so hard for something so basic. Just to start. (2) I feel like I'm fulfilling God's truths and purpose for me by standing up with those who have trouble fighting for themselves.

    Long story short, stop being a judgy twit.

    The end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more judgy twits indeed! I was raised in the church to turn the other cheek and be forgiving and tolerant. I would like to know also how its being "Godly" to be mean and judgemental.
      THanks so much for stoppin by and commenting. It means so much.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Absolutely!! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  6. I sent you an email today, but I think your spam blocker hates me.. Let me know if ya get it or whatever.. My email is kcdoe27(at)hotmail(dot)com thanks lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOl my spam blocker hates everyone. I got it and i'm so thankful.

      Delete
  7. What a GREAT post. I have many friends that are gay, my girls do, and we are teaching my husband what tolerance is all about.He is finally "getting it". My sister is bi- and my sisters best friend is gay. I love them to pieces. Thank you for this very public stand. And congratulations to you and your future hubby.:~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Patty for your supportive comment. Tolerance is the key for sure.
      And thanks for the well wishes on my engagement. I'm so excited.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) " thou shall not" is used in such a discriminatory way. thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amen, Holli....beautiful post!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My youngest brother is gay, and right before he came out to us he made the statement that he had to get out of the south (he lives in Boston). I completely understood after he came out. Although I think people around here are more tolerant than they used to be, it's still there. We grew up in a Catholic household, and my parents are still very devout Catholics. I'm so very proud of their acceptance of who my brother is, and also their acceptance of his partner.
    Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Terrific. Stand your ground and stuck with your beliefs. I have all types of friends and respect all their choices. We need to be more accepting and just let people live the way they want.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!