Monday, March 11, 2013

Weekend in the country

Hello there y'all! I would normally say Happy Monday but today i'm working from home with a bad cold. I feel like doodoo but you know the saying- Show must go on!
The other night i was on my back patio chatting on the phone when i noticed my watering can was filled with grass and sticks. I thought that was the darnedest thing but assumed the apartment landscapers blew the leaves and they landed there. The next morning i just happened to be looking out on the patio from inside when i saw a little bird fly to the can with a twig in its mouth (beak , whatever) . It looked around and then dove into the can and under all that grass. That explains how the grass got there and it makes me happy they made a home on our patio. Now the funny part is that we have a really nice tall wooden bird house on our patio. Todd said i cant believe the stupid bird isnt using the real bird house, and i replied that they're from the poor side of town and assumed the fancy house would cost too much rent. They're happier in the water can.  hahaha! The bird looks like the brown bird on my pillow- do you think it looked real to them?
I've met 2 people from Craigslist to buy wedding stuff and have totally scored with some good deals. The first major score was 80 wine bottles for free. I have 20 in my bathtub now soaking to remove the labels.
The next purchase was 25 silver sashes that i'm using to tie around the wine bottles. I cant aggravated at the nerve of people asking retail price on their used stuff on craigslist. If i wanted to but your vases for 5$ a piece, i'll but them new myself!

Saturday i drove out to the country to big town of Quitman where my grandmother Nanny lives. She's about 2 hours away and i try to see her once a month for sure. I stopped at a great garage sale on the way and bought 6 vintage hankies for 3.00$ (.50 cents a piece). I'm giving them away at my wedding so i was too excited about these. I picked up Nanny and we drove about 12 miles up the road to Mineola where they have great antique stores. I bought 20 more hankies and didnt pay more than 1.50 for each one. If any of y'all are thrifters or stop at garage sales- i need a lot more hankies please.


While i was on my way to Nanny's i noticed a man in the middle of the highway stopping traffic. He was just a little farmer with no obvious clothing or signs but i see this all the time in the country. He was stopping traffic so 4 tractors (that i saw) could all cross at the same time. I was thinking maybe it was the end of a parade or something. It had to be at least 30 minutes later after arriving at Nanny's and we decided to go to Mineola, we noticed about 10 tractors parked in the field next to Dairy Queen. I had just gor through explaining to Nanny why i was a few minutes late because of the tractors crossing the highway. Too funny! It looks like they also had a tractor hayride with lots of people in the back.  I love Country living as much as i love being a city girl.

Mineola has a new bakery that just opened up and they hired Cookie Monster to stir up some customers.  My younger brother Jeremy LOVED Cookie Monty when he was a little boy  and had the stuffed toy and poster on his wall of Cookie Monty. I had to take his picture! I bought 2 pairs of old vintage earrings that i'm going to use in my bouquet and Nanny gave me a few brooches. I loved these old rock posters i saw at the antique store. I'm big fan of INXS!


Saturday i had a wedding that wasnt very far from Quitman so i had stayed the night with Nanny. It had a been a long time since i spent the night and we stayed up so late like high school girls. I love my grandmother more than anything. My high school friend Samantha got married to a man that we also went to high school with. The wedding was outdoors and it turned out to be very cold and windy yesterday. I have a feeling it contributed greatly to my cold i have today. Seeing her wedding just makes me so excited for mine coming up. I have so much still to do.  Anyone want to take some cases home with you and soak labels? No,i dont blame you.  So there you have it- my weekend in the country. Stay tuned for tomorrows post on Tunes for Tuesday.
Be well my friends!

10 comments:

  1. Hope you feeling better. Thought it was just going around here but you have caught it as well. Have lots of rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much-rest is definitely what i need. I'm still dragging butt.

      Delete
  2. Methinks your birds have been watching too much HGTV...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finding all those hankies! I'm a yardsaling, thrifty gal myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sooo excited. They are so pretty and i didnt pay over 1.50. I'm on fire and cant wait to go to more sales.

      Delete
  4. Lord that wine in the bathtub reminds me of Hot Atlanta girls weekend. It was a blast any my hangover was worse.

    Feel better! Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were here to drink the wine as we scrape them.
      I feel like poo still but what do ya do? thank you so much! xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hope you are feeling better!

    The bathtub full of booze made me laugh! So did the Cookie Monster pic as it looks so random like "hey, it's Cookie Monster!"

    Phil
    www.blog.theregularguynyc.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know thats how i felt when i was at red light- i was like oh Cookie Monster is on the corner. LOL
      Those bottles are for my wedding decorations. I scraped all those bottles last night and have another 15 in the tub soaking now.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!