Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dad's transplant- Hurry up and Wait

Hello my sweet blogger friends. My mind is very scattered so please bare with me on this post.  The day before yesterday (Monday) turned to be quite a roller coaster chain of events.
Dad got THE CALL that morning around 10:00 am and the hospital said how soon can you get here, we have a lung.  Something that was so funny  is Dad was literally sitting in the bathtub ( he has a special whirlpool bathtub that he can sit in) and he told the hospital “ well my wife isn’t dressed yet but we can be there in an hour”.  He totally blamed my stepmom and she was more dressed than him. LOL If you knew my Dad you can see the sense of humor he has. So ornery!
 They had a team waiting for him once he arrived and they took him back to OR and got him prepped. I didn’t get to hospital until 5:15 pm and they were still determining if the donor lung was good.  My aunt, myself and my stepmom Deb were in the waiting room when we got the call from the head nurse saying it was a GO and the lung was being put on a jet plane from East Texas (Tyler) and would be there very quickly.  The nurse said that we would get an update every 2 hours and the surgery could take up to 7 hours.
Todd got to hospital around 6:30 and the 4 of us were playing cards that Todd brought by Deb’s request. I said I needed to run out to my car and get my phone charger and I would be right back.   When I got back to the table there were 2 surgeons speaking to my group and my heart sank. It was one of those feelings that you get when you know its not good. I had missed a large part of the conversation but one of the surgeons was very patient and filled me in once she knew I was Dad’s daughter. Come to find out there were 2 huge strikes that occurred. The first one is that Dad’s blood pressure literally crashed dangerously low. Then as they had the donor lung out and looked closer by their inspection, they find pneumonia around bottom of lung . The whole operation was aborted at that time.
What’s our next step? Well, the surgeons had told us Monday night after the fiasco that now they know Dad definitely needs a double lung transplant instead of the single because apparently its easier to do the double. The kicker is that Dad had heart surgery 4 years ago and those surgeons did a terrible botched job. There is a lot of scar tissue and other complications now due to that. We were SUPPOSED to get some tests done early yesterday and hopefully some answers but things got crazy in the CT at hospital. He didn’t get his tests until last night at 9:30 pm. We waited and waited and waited and without tests, Dr’s have nothing to discuss with us. Needless to say, yesterday was just a day of resting for Dad. He is on a ventilator and has the tube down his throat and is not liking that at all. 
The dr’s are specifically checking out his legs, abdomen, groin area because to do the double lung transplant they want to use this machine called the bypass machine. Essentially all the blood will drain into this machine and it will be pumped through his body by the machine and is easier for the Dr’s. They will hook the machine up to his veins in his groin so they want to make sure dad’s veins are large enough and strong enough.
What we are wanting-needing is that Dad will be placed back on the top of  the donor list and a donor for 2 lungs happens very quickly.  They have to wean Dad off some medicines and the ventilator as well before he can be released.
We should know SOMETHING today. I’m at the office today trying to work because I was at hospital yesterday.
I would appreciate any prayers  and good thoughts sent to the family.  I even missed my own Tuesday Tunes yesterday while at hospital. Crazy!

21 comments:

  1. Thinking good thoughts and continued prayers coming your way, that everything goes well and that you get good news from the doctors. Love ya, girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep the prayers coming. Thank you , love you!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I wouldn't think that they'd even call someone without checking the lung thouroughly first, but I guess time is the thing. Also, keep in mind, his BP crashing might have been God's way to prevent putting one bad lung in instead of two good ones. Still on the prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES i completely agree with you. Double lungs is going to be so much better. Thank you for the prayers

      Delete
  3. I've been seeing your fb posts and keeping ya'll in my prayers sweet girl. I hope you get some good news soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Danielle. We got good news that he is on the list so now we're back to waiting again. At least we had this practice run and we know what to expect.

      Delete
  4. so many prayers and thoughts coming your way right now! So so sorry. not knowing is the worst.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helene. Not knowing IS truly the worst because as human nature would have it, we begin to think the worst. Good news is that he was approved last night and is back on the transplant list.

      Delete
  5. Praying for your dad. I hope he gets what he needs. Thinking of you during this difficult time just waiting. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jodi. All prayers are welcome and they're working.

      Delete
  6. Thoughts and prayers will certainly be focused on your dear dad. Hang in there.....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Holli, I can't imagine that up and down of emotions. I'm praying for you and your family. Stay strong, beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one extreme to the next. I am so exhausted but hopeful. Thank you for the prayers.

      Delete
  8. I so feel for you Holli. My dad had a double lung transplant on December 10th. Waiting for the lungs was just the start of the "fun."
    He just got home yesterday and is finally enjoying breathing entirely on his own. True miracle.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jessica, how much i needed to hear this!!! Praise GOD your Dad is home and breathing. I appreciate your input because i dont know anyone else that has been through this.

      Delete
  9. Sending all my good thoughts and prayers to you and your dad. Wishing him the best and hopefully all will go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil, your prayers and support mean so much. I Believe that all WILL go well. I got to speak to him last night because they took the tube out of his throat. It was music to my ears hearing him whisper to me.

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry about the roller coaster you are on. That sucks. Wishing your dad health and you peace while waiting. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Betsey. I've cried a river and i'm so exhausted. I am confident Dad is in the best hands though and its a blessing that now the surgeons know he needs 2 lungs instead of one. Having the practice run was meant to be. Love you! xoxox

      Delete
  11. Prayers to you and your Dad. There is no easy way to get through things like this except to just do what you have to do and do the best you can.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!