Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tuesday Tunes and memorial

Last week on September 11, not only was it a somber day from the memory of our terrorists attacks but a good friend and coworker Fred passed away suddenly from a heart attack. Our team at work literally felt like the rug was pulled out from underneath us. Many of us had just been on conference call with him the day before. I have mentioned Fred a few times in my post because I would go to many of his performances at our Symphony building to hear him sing with the Turtle Creek Chorale (TCC). This past Saturday was his funeral/memorial and it was so beautiful. The TCC sang around 5 songs and it gives me chills thinking of the beauty of their voices. Not a dry eye in the house after they sung. One of his friends who stood up to speak mentioned to us that he had a choir practice on Monday night and the last song they had sang was It is Well with My Soul. Are you familiar with that song and the history of it? It was written by Horatio Spafford in the late 1800’s and he wrote it after suffering huge tragic family events. His business was destroyed by the historic Great Chicago Fire in 1871 and so he decided to move his family to Europe. He sent his wife and daughters ahead and the ship collided with another ship and all 4 of his daughters died. Horatio then wrote this hymn as his ship passed near where his daughters died in the ocean. No song but lyrics today. Here are the lyrics: It is well with my Soul When peace like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll; Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to know,a It is well, it is well, with my soul. Refrain: It is well, (it is well), With my soul, (with my soul) It is well, it is well, with my soul. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come, Let this blest assurance control, That Christ has regarded my helpless estate, And hath shed His own blood for my soul. My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole, Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul! For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live: If Jordan above me shall roll, No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life, Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul. But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait, The sky, not the grave, is our goal; Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord! Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul. And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight, The clouds be rolled back as a scroll; The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend, A song in the night, oh my soul! I have to share with yall something incredible that occurred last night to me. Earlier in the day on Saturday , I had to drive to east Texas to assist my friends with a moving sale and I had committed to helping them. I got up so early and packed a bag with a change of clothes to wear to the funeral and I grabbed a small handbag to use. Once I arrived at the location of funeral, I took out the small bag so that I didn’t have to carry my huge purse inside. I had noticed there were 2 tickets in the small bag but I just pushed them to the side and never looked at them and stuffed in my Kleenex and lipstick. Fast forward to last night and I was straightening up , I picked up the small purse to put away and when I pulled everything out- the 2 tickets were from a performance that Fred sang in from 2011 AND it had his name and address on one of them from when he purchased them. The crazy thing is that I had used this purse many times and as you know dozens of concerts since 2011. Very random that while I’m at his memorial , his name is on a ticket inside my purse. Life is short- tell your friends how much you appreciate them.

17 comments:

  1. So, so, sorry about the loss of your friend! But the tickets were kind of like a sign that he was looking down and smiling that everyone was celebrating his life and talent. The Lord does work in mysterious ways! Can't wait to spend time with you this evening...love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Lord sent me a true sign that other night for sure. I love that i'm blessed enough that i recognize HIS works now. Love you too!

      Delete
  2. So sorry for the loss of your friend. HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. Its very sad at the office this week

      Delete
  3. ((Holli)) -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take that hug! I cant find my picture but Fred used to have his own plane and he took me flying one time.I had so much fun and i'm on a mission to find that photo!

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear about Fred. He sounds like a well loved man. I'm sure your friend was letting you know, through the tickets, just how much singing meant to him and you were honoring him the best way possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred was so patient and such a great leader here at the office. He was a manager but never basked in the glory. He and i went to lunch often and i'm just a nobody. Isnt that the coolest sign through the tickets? I still get chills just thinking about it.

      Delete
  5. I tried to link up, but nobody posted. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Hol, with everything you've been through, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. God works in wonderous ways, and finding that ticket may be a way to know your friend is with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly have no other way to understand the unusual sign other than true sign from God. I miss him and i know it will eventually get easier walking past his office everyday.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend Holly! It's so hard to loose someone, especially someone whom you are close to. As I mentioned in a recent blog post of mine, I've a new perspective on life and death after being employed at a funeral home the last few months. It's been a real eye opener for me.

    Hang in there and know he's found his way to the Lord.

    Love ya! xoxo

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya sweety- life is so fragile. I truly learned that recently when Daddy was hanging on by thread before and during his lung transplant. Thank you for your encouragement.

      love ya! xo

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. That is always hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, my heart hurts losing a friend so suddenly.

      Delete
  9. Nice fellow that leaves you tickets to his funeral...That's how you know that certain people are never really gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt that the coolest thing? I just cant believe it. Well i BELIEVE it but shocked and blessed that GOD was so blatant with his signs.

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!