Monday, October 14, 2013

Out with the old

Hello out there blogger land. So how was your weekend? Mine was productive yet uneventful. I'm other words pretty dang nice not to be running all over the place like usual.  Before Todd and I moved in together, I had my own apartment that was a one bedroom plus study and it was filled to the gills. Todd had his own place with a fair amount of things so we got a large storage place to hold all of our things we weren't ready to part with. Fast forward a year and we will still renting the large space. 
Todd rented the smallest space they had and we spent all weekend condensing into it. This decision was so good for us for 2 reasons: the first one is the money saved! It's a significant amount going from largest size to smallest size the warehouse offers.  To be honest, we're still paying for wedding and will be for a little longer so every dollar counts. The second reason is it's liberating to get rid of clutter that we don't need. We will eventually get a house and away from apartment life so I have a few things that I don't want to part with in hopes I'll have the space for it. I have 2 cedar chests that belonged to my great aunt and my mom that are precious to me.  I also believe in Gods timing because we had to be out of our large storage this weekend and there is a family that is need of anything and everything right now. We delivered my truck full of stuff yesterday and it's a nice feeling that my stuff has new home and is appreciated. 
 I won't name any names but I'll explain the situation I was made aware of. A dear friend of mine received a call from her niece in Florida crying and asking for help. The niece is around my age and has 2 teenage kids- a 14 yr old boy and 17 yr old girl who just had a baby boy of her own 3 months ago. Come to find out the husband of the niece had beaten the crap out of her and has for the last 22 years. So my friend drove from Texas to Florida and picked up all 4 ( well 3 and 1/2)  and brought them home with her.  Eventually the niece will get a place of her own for herself and the kids so they need everything.  The items we gave might be old like the huge tube TV and VCR but they work great. The girl wears the same size as me so she struck clothing gold. LOL. Even shoe size was same.
 To add to this story , I happen to love some spices that I came across at a Tastefully Simple party and I needed more. I went online and put in my work zip code to find a seller near me. I found a lady 3 blocks from my office and I went by her house after work last Thursday . When she invited me in her house , she had 2 large bags of clothes against the door. I thought you know I have nothing to lose if I ask her for them so I proceeded in asking her if she had specific charity she used and told her about my church ministry The Closet and said we even have tax receipts. She was so happy that I had truck that I could haul her stuff right then and all she wanted was the receipt. I was mostly interested in the clothes because she mentioned one bag was her husbands and the other was children's. The church is in much need for children's and the 14 yr old boy I mentioned above needed clothes . Score!! 
On more fun stuff , I went to a few thrift stores and Target to look at Halloween stuff and couldn't resist playing around. I'll post some pics soon of my home with all its decorations. I've been decorating a little every day for the last week. 

We are having our annual Halloween party and I'm crazy excited!!  
We are also getting rain here in Dallas which is soooo needed so its a good day! Happy Monday y'all! 

14 comments:

  1. As always, girl.....I just love your heart!!!!! And you are so cute in all the halloween get ups...can't wait to see the apartment! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halloween has EXPLODED in my house!! Just wait and see.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful you were able to help, and although they are facing tragedy, timing worked out that you could be so giving. As Jewel says (sings!)... "In the end, only kindness matters."

    I'm diggin the pink Medusa look. It's very you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the Medusa thing was so fun! They were kinda pricey though and i'm on tight budget so i could only play.
      I love that my things went to such an appeciative home and well deserved. With the wedding gifts we were blessd to receive , it was great to give away the duplicates.

      Delete
  3. You amaze me, simply amaze me, how you are always so willing to help others in need, no questions asked. You have a heart of gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I have my moments but i can also be pain in the ass sometimes too!
      I believe that my giving also stems me having to be the receiver back when times were tough as well. The full circle kinda thing.

      Delete
  4. First, I want to echo the comments about you... you have a knack for being there when God's timing calls on you. Second, that bottom picture on the left had me wondering if you were going into the bank robbing gig! I thought it was a nylon over your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when God puts me in the place and time i'm supposed to be. More importantly that i obey HIM and not ignore his voice. I have done that too many times.
      The nylon thing would have drove me crazy all night so i didnt buy it.

      Delete
  5. Yes, God's timing is perfect! I think yours is pretty close, too! ;-) -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a blessing to serve HIM in this small capacity. I love being HIS tool when he chooses to use me. I take no credit except having the items and clothing to share. You're so sweet!

      Delete
  6. It is so great that you are able to help out that family. I'm sure they really appreciate your stuff and will find it so useful!!! And congrats on downsizing your storage unit. I have a bunch of stuff I need to donate but waiting to see if I'll have a yard sale!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to have a yard sale but i dont have a yard in my apartment. LOL. I just didnt feel like hauling all my stuff to a friends house to have a yard/garage sale and now i know that God had bigger plan for my stuff. They are the sweetest people and they are excited for my stuff which is the greatest feeling. Thank you so much for your sweet comment. take care

      Delete
  7. You have such a big loving heart filled with so much compassion for others. I love those pics of your in the wild foam hair!! Too cool! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a great heart and it was nice of you to help her out. Men who hit women are garbage. Glad she got away from that.

    Love the electrical outfit costume!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!