Thursday, November 14, 2013

Joy to the World- the holidays are So stressful!



I love putting up a Christmas tree.
I love MOST Christmas music.
I am not a fan of all the stress and pressure that holidays seem to bring. Most of it always stems from money and that makes me sad but its true. With the wedding just 10 weeks ago and having to replace Todds engine in his car, we are wiped out!  I want nothing but to shower all my friends and family with fantastic gifts. I will just say this- I am a great gift giver! I dont mean to sound full of myself but i try hard to listen and observe on what people want and what they like. I also dont shop at mainstream mall stores unless i have to. I have a few of my favorite places that i shop that has different things and i love hearing " where did you get this"?
I know that there are many things i can do like bake or make a craft but lets face it- i dont bake AT ALL and i love doing my crafts at my speed and not under pressure.
Growing up with a single mom most of my life, we had some very scarce Christmas's where i got only one present under the tree and some candy in my stocking. Truth is, i would rather get one present that i want than having several presents of "fluff" for the sake of having something to open.  Times are tough this year for so many people and my heart just breaks for all those struggling. I am a sucker for the Santa's ringing their bells and i always bring extra change and put it in my car. Yes , i said change and not dollar bills. It has to start somewhere and even change makes a difference.
One thing i love about gift exchanges is the understanding and agreement i have with my sweetest grandma Nanny. She is on such a tight fixed income and she cant afford gifts for all of us.  Many years ago, we decided that we were not going to make a point to exchange gifts on Christmas unless there really was a specific need for either one of us. We sometimes do Christmas in March or May or whenever we are together and we see something that we want. Its so much fun that way and we appreciate the gift so much more. She will cook me dinner or make me my own pot of Chicken and Dumplings and i couldnt ask for a better present than that!
I know that i will figure out something and make sure to have gifts for those who dont understand not receiving a present. I do have to start thinking about that now though. It's around the corner and coming fast! Wouldnt it be great if we could just all work on kindness to each other and that would be our gift to each other. Smile more- really listen to people when they speak and take that extra 5 minutes to talk- give with your time and effort and not money.  Donate a coat or blanket to your homeless shelter. There are so many things we can do to ease stress and bring peace. Its so cliche but Happiness really cant be bought and a smile sure does go a long way.
Happy Thursday y'all! Thank you for reading this and being a follower. Its Christmas and my birthday everyday when you comment.

18 comments:

  1. Oh girl. I am so right there with you on this post. Money has me stressed to the max right now...oh who am I kidding...I am always stressed about it. I think this time of the year it seems to be so much worse but you are totally right, if we could just change the focus to what the season is really about, things would be so much nicer! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Money is always a stress for sure! I would be happy with more.

      Delete
  2. I read you and I hear you loud and clear. You and Jenn are cut from the same cloth. She is the queen at gift giving in our family. She listens with her heart and so do you sweetheart.
    But...it really isn't about the gifts wrapped in paper is it? The gift comes in the thought that y'all put in that box...not what the object is. Your love should be all anyone will ever need...except a warm coat or food in the belly.
    Christmas gifys have become at our house more for the children. The presents we give each other are our favorite anythings...be it store bought cookies or an old family piece. I personnaly think a framed photo of your wedding day would be a perfect gift especially if the person receiving it is in the photo. Sharing your special day and sharing your heart...no amount of money can buy that.
    XO
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, our wedding picture in a frame seems to be the main gift i'll be giving. LOL
      It will just have to be enough. I can make it up next year but this year is tight.
      I have 4 nieces and 2 stepkids that are my main focus for gifts and i have a feeling they dont care about having a framed picture . haha. XO Holli

      Delete
  3. P.S. Please don't send the spelling police after me! Gah...why can't the comment section come with autocorrect?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you. Money has stressed me out so much during the holiday times. That's why my husband and I get things for each other when we feel like it instead of when we have too. The holidays to me is about spending time with the family and not about the gift giving and spending money.

    http://innerworkingsofthefemalemind.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Jennifer. Holidays are about family and we have so much to be blessed for this year. My Dad said this weekend we are not exchanging gifts so i am relieved there.

      Delete
  5. I love Christmas and the holiday season, but my credit card hates me! I think we are all made to feel too stressed this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like they say- On dasher on Dancer on Mastercard On visa!

      Delete
  6. I feel like more and more these days, it's not just during the holidays that people are stressing about money. Bu the people who know and love you know that you don't need to shower them with gifts for them to realize you care. Yes, of course we all want to be spoiled rotten, but it's not feasible anymore. Nor, is it the true spirit of the holidays. I think it's more just about being together as a family. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Family is so important and this year especially with Daddy doing so well.
      I wil come up with something but it wont be extravagant for sure!
      xoxox

      Delete
  7. I haven't even begun to think about Christmas this year. In fact my children asked me yesterday when we were getting the tree out.. Somehow the Christmas spirit is lacking this year. Not to mention than money is tight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We dont put up our tree until Thanksgiving weekend which is next week- holy cow!!
      Money is tight and honestly i cant think of anything this year that i just have to have. I am very content!

      Delete
  8. I am just starting to get in the mood for Thanksgiving. Not really thinking about Christmas yet. I will think about tomorrow...or the day after Thanksgiving. LOL Christmas can be a stressful time...but it can be filled with so much joy too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely it can have much Joy! Having my Dad to celebrate is amazing and also celebrating my first Christmas as a wife is special. :)

      Delete
  9. awhh you're so sweet! I so agree with you! Like your grandma nanny, i am on a tight fixed income too, but somehow, even those homemade things like a meal, or baked goods (which i do every yr) count and can help brigthen someone's day. I've been seeing links to handmade ornaments with salt dough and they look so easy and fun to make! I might try that this year. My heart breaks too for those who are really in need...i rather give what i can like certain items i might pick up for free or $1 with coupons, than to stress about trying to get a nice gift for someone who really wants a gift, but it's hard for me too because i like giving gifts, even if it's a few bucks just because i appreciate that person and love them for who they are and they are special. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm searching the sales for sure! I love giving gifts so i will come up with something. xoxo

      Delete
  10. Amen to this post Holli!
    I feel the same way about Christmas and gift giving.
    Hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your family. Take care out there on the roads!

    and Happy New Year!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!