Tuesday, January 7, 2014

This and That


Happy Tuesday y'all! Hope all of you are staying warm and safe. As for us here in Dallas , the temps have been below freezing but totally operating. I am so hot natured and I am truly loving every cold day we have.  I've said it time and time again how much I HATE our summers in Texas. I love being able to wear my boots. I love wearing my sweaters. I love my scarves. I can't wear any of these but a short window of time.  I do feel bad for those who are being hammered with snow and ice.  Our city just doesn't do well in ice and we rarely get the pretty snowflakes. 
Last month we did receive out annual ice storm and it was crazy! We called it Iceageddon and we shut down for a 3 days. All Dallas does is use sand trucks and we don't have many to cover the whole metroplex. We had to call in for help from our neighbors in Oklahoma to send their trucks too. I'm very lucky that what I do can be done from my laptop and a phone so I still had to work buy from my couch.  I get serious cabin fever and it's the whole part of I REALLY want to go to store now that I can't. 
My pickup is the worst for driving on Ice because it's not 4wheel drive. I used to have to put a big tire in the bed if truck to weigh it down so it wouldn't be so light and swerve easier. My husbands little car actually had great traction and we got out of the house a few times. We even went to the movies which was great because it wasn't crowded. It took us a long time getting home though because it was dark when we got out and temps refroze the roads. 
In my boredom I got crafty. I painted, decoupaged , hot glued - you name it. I decoupaged a TV tray with pics of Todd and I , made grinch faces on green balls, mod podged 28 bottles with candy and ribbon for coworkers and or church building, decorated sweaters for ugly sweater party, and I'm sure a few more things I can't remember right now . I love doing crafty things and I wish I had more time to do so . I decided to MAKE the time to do more things I enjoy. 
I actually made a New Years Eve resolution this year which is not a practice I do often. I am "unplugging" now in the evenings after 8pm and reading my books. I have 2 bookshelves that are stuffed with dozens of books that I want to put a dent in. I love to read so much and I get mad that I waste hours getting sucked into my iPad on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.  I still do all of those now but in smaller doses. I'm currently on my third book already and I love it! Books are something that I can't stop buying even though I have a hundred and home. 
Having Jax is good for me too because it gets me off the couch on the hour to go outside and walk him. Y'all I have become one of "those" new dog moms. I swear every move Jax makes is photo or video worthy. Maybe it's because I don't have kids of my own and he's so dang excited to see me when I get home. I can't wait for work to be done so I can get home to him. Todd jokes that he remembers the days when he was number one. Lol! 
Anywho, today's post is a lot of nothingness but there ya go! Have a great day y'all! 


7 comments:

  1. Glad you survived the ice... sure you don't want some of my snow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in the midst of writing a December recap....there is just too much!!!! So glad that you are able to unplug at night and get some reading done...I so need to do that. And as far as having a dog, well, I simply adore it and never imagined that would EVER come out of my mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Love the TV tray! Does Max get cuter every single day?! What an adorable face! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    What have you been reading? Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is 1 degree here. And considering it is -25 in MN, I guess I shouldn't complain! Haha! You are quite the productive lady when you are snowed/iced in! And creative to boot! I love it.
    I really like your idea of "unplugging" after 8pm. I think maybe that's something I need to start doing. I too, can waste so much time on the interwebs, and before I know it.. POOF! the entire night is gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had been productive like that. I just cannot get on the craft wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I know how hot it gets in Texas during summer, as we have relatives there. I also like the colder weather and like winter season in NYC, but this crazy frigid weather had been nuts!

    Also, I have a hard time unplugging at night. It's like a bad habit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's as hot as hell here. Love your crafts.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!