Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Hodgepodge...

1. Share something you appreciate (or something you appreciated as you were growing up) about your mother. I appreciate my mother’s listening ear. I’ve always been able to share with her my feelings and personal thoughts without ever fearing she would judge me. Mom has always been very supportive of all my decisions good or bad. My mom was 18 when I was born so I’ve always loved that she was younger and more cool and hip than my friends moms growing up. She taught me great appreciation of old rock-n-roll and 68 camaro’s. 
 2. A quote most commonly ascribed to Plato reads "Necessity is the mother of invention." When did this last play out in your own experience? I think I’m pretty handy and can probably come up with a few times I’ve engineered something quick to get me through but I had to be creative just this morning. My puppy stays in a kennel when Todd and I are at work and for whatever reason the gate has shifted and is hard to get the metal rod that locks it in the holes and if I can get it in , its hard to remove. Today, Todd left house before me so I have a screw driver that fit perfectly that’s holding the kennel closed. I’m pretty dang proud and wished I would have done that earlier! 
  3. Share one of the earliest memories you have from childhood. I have a very good memory. My mom is amazed of some things I remember from early age. My great-grandfather died when I was very young (3 or 4) but I clearly remember him holding me in his lap. I have so many fond memories of childhood from riding with my Poppy at age 4 on the Harley and my cousins and I playing outside in the pastures at my great-grandmas house in the country. My mom used to take me to the park every week if I got a good status report and we would also get ice cream from Baskin Robbins. 
  4. When did you last 'hit the mother lode'? What was it? Last weekend I lost my kitchen garbage can which also had my smaller bathroom trash can down in and it blew out of my truck when moving. I stopped at garage sale and bought 2 garbage cans and a vintage table lamp all for 6 dollars!! I also scored mother lode when I married my husband. Not to be sappy but seriously he’s incredible. He works so hard and was amazing during the move. I am a lucky woman! 
 5. What is/was your favorite dish mom made? Do you make that dish for your family/friends now that you're all grown up? Mom makes THE MOST AMAZING spaghetti sauce. She was taught a lot of genuine Italian recipes from an old neighbor we had over 30 years ago that was from Italy. I cant touch her spaghetti and don’t even try. One thing else I always loved was this smothered chicken breasts and rice with some special sauce that I’ve also never attempted. When she comes to visit I always ask for it.
 6. Mother May I? was at one time a popular children's game. It required no equipment or parts to play. What was your favorite childhood game where you could just turn up and play-no gear needed? I loved Simon Says, Hide and Seek, Freeze Tag, all of them. We grew up playing outside until it was bedtime. We made up games all the time. 
 7. Which TV mom (past or present) is your favorite, and why? My favorite mom from past I would say was Mom from Partridge family. How cool was it that her family was in a band and they traveled in cool painted school bus. My present mom would be on Bates Motel. She’s such a great actress and creepy.
 8. Insert your own random thought here: My move did not go well. I cried every day and we still have moving to do this week and deep cleaning our apartment. Many things broke but the very worst loss of all was that I lost my Diamond solitaire out of my ring. I didn’t wear it since last Wednesday and only wore my band. I had Dr appt on Monday and put on my rings and didn’t realize until I was driving that the diamond was missing. It was insured but its just not the same. I’ll tell you more about the move later when I can type without crying.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that your move hasn't gone as well as you'd hoped, especially since you lost your diamond. I know that must be heartbreaking for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry that you had such a rough move...I hope that things are looking up this week. I know it is not the same but what a blessing that your ring was insured which hopefully means a replacement is not far away. On a brighter note someone has a birthday party right around the corner...can't wait to see you! Love you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I hope your diamond turns up in something that came with you as you moved. I lost a little sapphire earring about a month ago. It was one of a pair my parents gave me when I was 16, not terribly valuable but a big deal to them and to me. Sentiment and all. I was so sad. Last week I was out of town, and when I got home my hubs casually mentioned he'd found my earring under the desk. I hope you get a happy ending too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww...I hate that your moving experience was bad, and that you lost the diamond from your ring. My mom was also a young mother, so I grew up listening to Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Doobies Brothers, The Doors. My parents were young and cool and had a red 65' Mustang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear the move did not go well. Good thing you had the ring insured! Hopefully, things will get better.

    My parents grew up on rock & roll and always had the great music on. No disco garbage in our house. My parents both had cool cars too. A 68 Mustang and an Oldmobile Cutlass. I remember those days washing the cars and then going out for a Sunday drive for ice cream with them. I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1- Her every morning commitment to her prayer book.
    2- Plato? I thought it was Ben Franklin! Don't get me started on the "how to set up the fabric roll when the cardboard core is crushed" thing. Really.
    3- Sitting on the potty chair as "Uncle" Walter announced, "The President... is dead."
    4- the last shipment of different beer caps for the collection from a blogging buddy.
    5- Her meat loaf. I can't touch it.
    6- I was superheroes, or Daniel Boone. No need for playmates.
    7- Probably Bert Bauer from Guiding Light or Nancy Hughes from As The World Turns.
    8- Someone owes you major karma!

    4-

    ReplyDelete
  7. sadly, I think it's good luck to lose or break something during a move.. Hang in there lady, it will get better :) Gotta take the valley's with the mountain tops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet appreciation of your mother. Those are very early memories, how wonderful! So sorry about your random....((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I appreciate that mom allowed me to be an independent person. She wasn't overprotective.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!