Wednesday, May 28, 2014

This week's Hodgepodge

1. What news story are you following right now? I cant help but watch the news on the shooting in California. Its so sad and unnecessary. We have to pay more attention to mental health people!
 2. What's the last thing you wanted but didn't get? I wanted a Starbucks this morning but decided I’d rather have it on Friday. I can only afford it once a week.
 3. May 28th is National Hamburger Day...when did you last have a hamburger? Other than your own kitchen or BBQ grill, where is your favorite place to go for a hamburger? And for all you non-meat eaters out there...when you're invited to a cookout what is the one side dish you hope is on the menu? I had a few burgers last weekend . When I was in Florida last week, I had dinner at a friends house and she made the most amazing burgers on the grill. The patties were stuffed with either bacon or blue cheese. Yumm! We have a small chain around Dallas called Snuffer’s and they have great burgers. They also have the best cheese fries in town too. I love burgers and honestly we have too many places that have delicious burgers; Fuddruckers, Twisted Root, Club Schmitz, In and Out….
  4. How have your priorities changed over time? I feel the most drastic was getting married. My priorities now have to include my husband and my puppy and I’m ok with that. Being single and self-sufficient most of my life, my priorities would have been more around only me. Age and experience have changed my priorities as well. Several years ago I got laid off for a few months before I was offered an opportunity to transfer to another department. I didn’t handle that well at all and completely freaked out at thought of being unemployed. Going thru this huge merger now, I find myself much calmer and confident than I used to be. My faith is stronger and I feel that whatever happens is in God’s plan and to just do the best I can do every day. 
 5. What's a favorite memory with your grandparents? My grandparents on my mothers side pretty much split the responsibility with my parents on raising me. I have too many memories to count and for that very reason I am so blessed. My grandma (Nanny) is 87 and is amazing. I lost my grandfather 17 years ago and I miss him so much. I had the strongest connection with Poppy and he’s the one that got me on the Harley when I was just a toddler. He took me everywhere with him and I was his sidekick. When I was young, my grandfather would plan our family vacations around his Ruidoso, New Mexico motorcycle rally. My aunts, uncles, cousins, etc would all go get cabins and have the best time. We went exploring, fishing, picked berries, watched Indian dance shows, ate fry bread, rode ski lifts, so much more. I have very fond memories of those trips.
 6. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being fantastic!), how good are you at multitasking? Share an example. I rate myself an 8. I can write blog posts from my phone while listening to conference calls, I can write bills and send birthday cards while holding my puppy and watching TV. I put my home phone on speaker so I can get caught up with my friends and family while also unpacking.
  7. How would you summarize your highs and lows for the month of May? I lost my wedding diamond on May 1 and that was all time low- I moved and had lots of stuff broke and that too was in the lows. I had birthday party at Club Schmitz that at very last minute got switched to Strokers and that stressed me out and some of my guests so that’s low while at same time, I had great turnout and ended up having a blast with those who did show up ( high), I got to travel to Jacksonville where I seriously have some of the most wonderful friends AND got upgraded to beach view hotel room ( high , high, high). Overall more highs than lows so I cant complain. 
  8. Insert your own random thought here. I got a lot of unpacking done this past Monday but I still have so much left to do. I am at the point now that I’m at peace with the fact I cant get it all done immediately and to just take it day by day. I cant believe May is over already. I have mentioned Club Schmitz on numerous occasions and I am so sad that after 68 years of business, they are closing their doors at the end of this month ( this weekend). My dad’s first cousins Bob and Larry owned the bar and are ready to retire. Its on a prime place of real estate in Dallas and are selling the land and getting out while its good. I am happy for them but sad for selfish reasons. I always celebrate my birthday there and we popped in quite a bit for a burger and onion rings. I bought a few t-shirts last weekend when we were in and I got the very last ones. Sad to see a Dallas icon be bulldozed and a place I literally grew up at. Its been on the news and in the papers all month and people have come from all over to go one last time. Its crazy!

7 comments:

  1. Your grandparents sound wonderful! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your memories of your grandparents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree with you on #1. Whenever these awful things happen the dialogue quickly deteriorates and it becomes all about gun control. Mental health is the bigger issue and it seems to be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. National Hamburger Day??? I sure wish somebody would get me this info when I can do something about it.... God knows our media outlets never knew an event they couldn't tell you all about afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me that it's Hamburger Day! Now I know what to eat for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, I want to go to Club Schmitz! How awesome!! Good for them, though, getting out while the going's good. I love LOVe old places like that that have so much character. Super cool, and no doubt you have great memories there.
    Um... all I canthink about it a bacon and blue cheese stuffed burger. OH MY!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great HodgePodge for the week...I am so sad that I never got to experience Club Schmitz!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!