Monday, November 24, 2014

My day on the Metro Relief bus

Good morning y'all!  I am on vacation this week so I am typing this post in my jammies with coffee and it is great!! I wanted to tell you about my amazing day last Thursday. I took a vacation day so that I could spend the day with Metro Relief.  I had to work Friday so I was so busy making up from the day before, I didn't get to write a post.
This is their mission statement: Metro Relief is a not-for-profit organization based in the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex. Our goal is a simple one: Go to the people, meet the people, and take care of the people. At the core of our mission is Christ’s charge: “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’”

I called Pam who is the volunteer coordinator and she asked me to be at the building at 8:30 am.  There is much to do to prepare for the Dallas outreach daily.  There were several volunteers that happen to show up the same day I did and they said it was unusual for the turnout.  People who have to do community service can volunteer there. We also had 3 students that were volunteering for a Speech class at a local college.  We were split up in 3 teams. One team made the soup that would be handed out that day. Another team rolled up pairs of socks and put them in a tub, while the last group put hygiene packets together in clear bags. The hygiene packs had mini deodorants, shampoo ( like from hotels), toothpaste and some kid of snack like candy bar or granola bar.  I got soup duty and it was pretty fun.  First we had to make the special seasoning- there was a recipe book with instructions on all the spices and amounts that got mixed up together.  Then we made the soup in the ginormous kettle and then we made lemonade. We had an employee there with us the whole time walking us through. 

Once all the soup, lemonade, and packets were ready, they were put on the bus. Metro Relief has 3 buses ( old school buses) that have been gutted and a Pit has been built in. The pit is a small area that has a window built in ( like a food truck) and all the food is served from there.  The seating is up at the front where we all rode. Once we're at the locations- we are then split up again with different jobs. There were the ones that would serve the food - which was a large foam cup of soap, a dinner roll, cookie and lemonade or water.   Another group ( 2 people) would pass out the socks, hygiene packs and would pray with them if they had a specific prayer on their heart.  The rest of volunteers would set up the tables, tents, chairs and mingle with them and walk around asking people to come eat.

We made 2 stops in downtown Dallas.  The first stop, I stayed on the bus and did the prayers and handed out the packets.  Its humbling that when you asked what to pray for,  almost every single person wanted me to pray for their friends or family and not for themselves. They were homeless and had all their treasures in one bag but they were so selfless and was concerned for others.  There were prayer requests for a few of them to get past their addictions and for them to find a job. These people are actually so much braver than I ever thought I was.

The second stop , we had to switch our duties so then I was off the bus and walked around the neighborhood where the homeless were on all the corners and asked them to come get something to eat.  When we got back to the bus, I sat at the table and just visited with them and listened.  The important thing is simply not to judge and to listen. They are human like us and deserve to be heard.  I will need to do another post on some of the experiences from that day.  I love serving and my heart grew 3 more sizes for sure this day.

Everyone, please have a Blessed and thankful Thanksgiving. Enjoy your holiday and hug on your loved ones.  Big hugs!!!

4 comments:

  1. God bless you for putting your faith into action!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your vacation week!

    Here's wishing you and yours a terrific Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so wonderful. A blessing to them and to you.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!