Wednesday, May 27, 2015

I went back to Ohio

I am wrapping up my visit that I spent in Ohio 2 weeks ago.  I only mentioned the one night that Todd played in his band so far. We were there for 3 nights and 3 days so we were able to have some nice relaxing mornings.  We stayed in a Homewood Suites in a town called Maumee. They served breakfast until 9:00 am every morning. What was so funny is that we woke up every single morning at 8:45. If you knew how strange that is for big of us. I am not a sleeper. I am a very restless sleeper and I wake up very easily.  Sleeping late to me is 7:00 on a weekend. We stayed up late though every night and probably didn't get to bed before midnight.  Luckily there was a Cracker Barrel across the street from us.
Todd wanted to see his homes and schools that he lived in and went to.  We also saw where his dad went to elementary school.  We drove around a lot and spent some time in a cute town called Grand Rapids, Ohio. It had nice little shops and antique stores.  A beautiful river ran behind the Main Street. 
One thing I couldn't get enough of was all the lovely huge barns.  Out near where we were it was pretty rural. Lots of farms and crops were around. I lost count and gave up taking pictures of all the barns once I realized that dang near everyone had one.  If I lived in Ohio, I would have to have a huge barn!! 
Todd was super excited to eat at a place called Tony Packos.  In fact, we ate there twice.  If you remember the TV show MASH, then you know the character Klinger. Klinger was from Toledo and always mentioned his favorite place Tony Packos.  They're famous for their Hungarian hot dogs and chili.  I have to admit, they were tasty! We went to the original one that was close to downtown Toledo.  
Another night, while Todd had practice , I had the evening alone to explore. I ate at a chain that was also popular in that area called Charlie's. It was Greek and so yummy!  Afterwards, I shopped and didn't buy much but Todd and I bought a few shirts from the Harley shop the day before. I also bought some gorgeous antique chippy Corbels that came off a house there in Ohio. The lady at antique store was so nice and told us she was there when they removed from an old abandoned house. I love knowing the history of something I bought.  Todd suggested me going to a post office and shipping my purchases home.  Instead, 
I found a thrift store and bought a small carryon bag for one dollar!! It was perfect  to pack the corbels and tshirts in. We checked it for free and I didn't have to ship anything. 
All in all, I had a great time and enjoyed seeing a part of Ohio that I'd never seen before. Todd was happy and had fun  and we needed some time away together. 
Now for tons of pics:
Downtown Toledo 

10 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun on your trip. As someone who grew up in Ohio, I KNOW there are lots of barns! I particularly like the ones with the painted signs on them. Not as many of those around and the paint is often really faded. Funny to think that barns use to serve as billboards.

    In fact, going back to Ohio in a month for a visit. I'm really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most I've been in Ohio was the Cleveland airport on my way to Michigan but that short time inspired me to write a book set there...30 Seconds. I'd love to go there and really experience it like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE barns! They have so much character and it reminds me of home.I have never been to Ohio, but I would definitely want to do some driving out in the country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you had such a great time. The thing I love about Ohio is all the rural areas right outside big cities. Literally you are in farmland and then voila you pop into a big city. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm originally from Indiana, where are lots and lots of soybean and corn fields. I've always loved driving in the rural areas and stopping in the small towns. We sometimes drive into Ohio where there are many cool barns with quilt patterns painted on them. I'm getting homesick just thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, we're not far from there, and it never entered my mind to try Tony Packo's. Knew it as soon as you mentioned it, but haven't ever tried it. So if you were in Ohio, did you stumble onto Fangboner Road like we did Saturday?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will admit that I just looked at the pictures. They look beautiful. Glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the first time I flew into Ohio, being stunned at how lush and green everything appeared. Your little getaway sounds soooo enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We could have an "ex-Ohioans" blog! I'd double dip and claim WV, too.

    Just got back last weekend from Ohio; I'd forgotten how beautiful the farms are at this time of year.

    I grew up in an industrial city and I'd also forgotten how run down it can look. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great trip. I love barns, enjoyed your photos a lot!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!