Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge


I haven't linked up lately with Joyce on her weekly Hodgepodge.  So today was a good day to do that.



1. What's a phrase your mother often said to you? If you're a parent, is this something you now say to your own children?


I love you no matter what! My Mom was the “wild child” out of the (one older sister and a younger brother).  No matter how crazy she got, my grandparents always showed her love. Mom did the same with me and my brother. She said we would make mistakes along the way but to stand behind our decisions and she loves us no matter.  I don’t have children of my own but I do have 2 stepkids. I hope they know that I love them and support them no matter what.

2. What is a scent you associate with your mother or your childhood home?


Lasagna.  Mom wasn’t a baker when I was growing up. She is now which is so funny.  Mom makes the most amazing Lasagna and Spaghetti. She would make the sauce the night before and it made the house smell so good. Garlic meat sauce.  Yum!!

3. What's an activity you remember always doing with your mother (or someone who was a mother figure in your life)?  Everything but sewing and cooking. LOL.  My mom was really young when she had me. I went everywhere with her.  She never has sewn and when she cooked, I usually just stayed out of the kitchen.  A fond memory with mom though is her reading to me. She and my grandma used to always read to me and I knew my alphabet and could read by first grade.  That’s a passion we all three share today.  We swap books all the time. 
 


4. Flared jeans, maxi dresses, and jumpsuits are 70's fashion trends back this spring. Are you on board? Which trend would you be most inclined to try? For the men...flared corduroys, wide-collared shirts, and floral prints...what say you?  I love love love maxi dresses!!   I do have pair of bootcut flared jeans to wear also but they’re not crazy flared. I wear them when I ride the Harley with my boots.   No to all the men’s options above.

5. May 6th is Teacher Appreciation Day and also Nurse Appreciation Day. Is there a nurse or teacher  you have especially appreciated along the way? Tell us why?


One of my closest friends  “T” is a nurse.  We used to be waitresses together in college and I am so proud of her and all she’s accomplished. She is a head Trauma RN and is very respected in a huge Dallas hospital here. I used to help her study every week for her tests.   I remember when she lived in a garage efficiency apartment barely scraping by to go to Nursing school and now she owns a home and is doing so well. I love her to pieces and she has a heart of gold and compassion. 

6. If I came by your house, what would I find on your frig door?
  Shredded parmesan cheese, bottled waters , milk and yogurt. We always have milk  to have cereal and Todd eats yogurt.  We eat a lot of pasta and sometimes just throw butter and parmesan on the pasta.  Hmmm, we really need to go grocery shopping.

7. Princess Charlotte Elizabeth Diana made her royal entrance on Saturday, May 2nd. On a scale of 1-10, how much attention did you give to all the news coverage? 1=Who's Charlotte? 10=sat glued to the telly, cuppa in hand.  Not much.  I am happy for the royal family and the baby is adorable but it didn’t interfere with my weekend.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Today would have been my stepdad Don’s 79 birthday.  I miss him so much!  I was so blessed to have him in my life and I still am so sad for my baby brother.  As hard as this for me, its 90% harder for him. They were so close.  We lost him in January of this year.   As I’ve mentioned before, I also wish Mother’s Day would just go by quietly.   Not a fan!!


 

13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your stepdad. Those hurts don't go away, but I think that by God's grace they do soften a bit with time. That is not to say that we ever forget those wonderful loved ones! I love it that your mom and grandma taught you your letters and how to read at a young age. What a gift that is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA!! I totally misread the question about the fridge. Its hard to put milk ON a door! I need to simmer down now and read the details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was great - you have a terrific sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally with you on wishing Mother's Day would just go on. Looks like you have some great memories with your mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I love your no matter what" had to be a wonderful things to hear from your mother. I love that your mom and grandmother read to you. I wasn't brought up with that pleasure. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing quite like the smell of good spaghetti sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. Some good questions and some good answers. I agree about Mother's Day. You should always celebrate your mother everyday. I think peaople(including) me get to hung up on how it effects them. Like my mother said, it is not about weather you are a mother or not. It is about celebrating your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got hungry just reading about your mom's lasagna and spaghetti sauce :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm lasange is one of my favourites and the skill of reading is so important. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1- Mom is best remembered in one liners. Like one night when we were watching my nephew (we were pretty close in age due to me being the baby), and mom had been shelling green beans. We were in the kitchen having cereal when mom took a bucket of shells out. As she disappeared out the door, she dropped the bucket loudly on the porch and immediatly cut a huge fart. She came back in and said, "Scared the poop out of me!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom didn't teach me how to sew, but only because I think she ran out of patience by the time it got to be my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I'm really wanting some lasagne : ) It's not something I eat very often, but sounds good right now! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry about your step-dad. I know that kind of pain may get easier, but neve goes away. Reading this post is making me super hungry for lasagna. Remember Garfield (cartoon) would LOOOOVE lasagna? When I was little, I called in Garfield Meaty. LOL, I was a weird bird. I, just like you goes by quickly, and I'm adding you to my prayer list of ladies who would rather see tomorrow go by like a fart In the wind.. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!