Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Edgar Allan Poe to Rock n Roll

Good morning and Happy Wednesday Yall!!!   I am already feeling so much better after 2 days of meds. Now i just have the yucky cough but i have pills for that too.  yay!
So when i was a kid (1976- i was 8), my mom had an album of Alan Parsons Project and the name of the album was Project Tales of Mystery and Imagination Edgar Allan Poe.  The album was so cool because it was like a book and it had pictures with the lyrics.   Truth is by hearing EAP's poems put to music, i became a young fan of Poe and remain a huge fan of his work today.
Some of the songs were instrumental and were long songs like 16 bminutes long on the B side of the album.  One of the songs made it to radio and got lots of air time.
that song was (The System of) Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether 
Here it is


My favorite is The Raven .  I love the tempo being slow and then fast and then slow.  How cool is it to sing the chorus Nevermore Nevermore Nevermore Never!!
Here it is :

 I will share with yall a few more songs later but i gotta run for now.   Are any of you familiar with this album and the songs? What did you think about them? I was a weird kid what can i say! My parents were hippies.

A week from today i will be heading to South Dakota and into cooler weather. Yippee!  Have a great day my friends.

10 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Holli! I'm glad to know you're feeling better and getting psyched for your biker meet-up and cooler weather.

    Lots of those friendly people
    They're showing me ways to go
    And I never want to
    Lose their inspiration
    Time for a cool change
    I know that it's time for a cool change
    - Little River Band

    Gosh, my friend, I was 26 by the time you were 8. I think it's wonderful that we have made this groovy connection in spite of the age difference. I am familiar with the prog rock band Alan Parsons Project. Their videos were played frequently on the MTV style station where I worked in the 1980s and 90s. However, I never heard this Poe album. It's an exciting concept and I thoroughly enjoyed these tracks. Thank you for sharing, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh - it is time for a cool change indeed! I love that song and thank you for adding that little snippet. So there is an 18 year age difference between us. True fact is that my mom was 18 when she gave birth to me. We both grew up together in a sense and I love all the same music she did so I feel very connected to many era's. I have always many times been told I have an "old soul". I spent much time with my grand parents growing up too and my best friend is 12 years older than me. What is age anyway right?! Now that I'm approaching my 50's , I feel that anyone 47 and older , we are all in same age group. lol

      Delete
  2. I never heard those songs but of course I know the group. I love that your parents were hippies and you had really cool experiences. So glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb me too!! Being sick really sucks and I am too busy to be sick. I have a different story indeed from other friends my age but I am so blessed for all the memories - strange or not.

      Delete
  3. I was a fan of Eye in the Sky, my two favorites are Sirius and Eye in the Sky. I forgot how much I liked them and just had to put them on my phone from Amazon! Very talented group and I am sure we have the album up in our attic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to say that I am glad you are on the road to recovery........

    ReplyDelete
  5. ONCE AGAIN: Clones! I don't have that album but I love Poe and I've memorized a lot of his poetry, like The Raven and Annabelle Lee.

    Girl, we're gonna find ourselves at the same family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poe's poems put to music? How did I not know about this before? That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never realized they did that! Cool bit of trivia you have shared with us.
    Glad you are feeling better!
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know my answer... glad you posted this at last!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!