Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Winner of BOTB and Creative Blogger Award

Hi Y'all!! Have you already been nominated for the Creative Blogger Award?  It seems to be contagious because so many of my friends and fellow bloggers have been posting about this. Well now its my turn because that sweet crazy lady who I adore over at Cherdo on the Flipside nominated me.  She posted HERE last week but I was being held hostage in a training room every day and had no time on the day or evenings to blog.

Its a pretty easy thing to do and you get to meet other bloggers.

 The rules:

1. Thank and post the link of the person who nominated you.
2. Share 5 facts about yourself to your readers.
3. Nominate 5-20 blogs and notify them.
4. Pass on the rules

I want to start with Rule no.1 and thank Cherdo for nominating me!!! Anytime someone thinks about me and wants to mention my blog, it is a true honor . You're a gem and a keeper and i'm so very grateful our blogs have crossed paths sweet girl.

Now for 5 facts about me.  I am pretty open and at times repetitive so I don't think I have anything new that you don't already know.
1.  I own numerous- I mean countless of blank journals and have bought them since I was a teenager with the hopes of journaling. I was given a diary with the heart shaped lock on it when I was around 8. I wrote in it almost everyday.  Then for whatever reason I stopped.  I envy my friends who have stacks of journals and can see their growth and experiences.  I have 2 day planners that I used for similar purposes when I was in college. Those are funny to read some of my daily events.  Thank goodness for blogging because this is my journal/diary in many ways.

2. My career path as I grew: I went to Catholic school on and off for 8 years. I wanted to be a Nun and would wear my white tshirts on my head when we played.  Then in middle school we moved to Northern California and my stepdads friends worked for Nasa.  I was hooked and wanted to do something Nasa related. Then we moved to Southern California where my love for the ocean began. I was going to be a marine biologist and maybe even join the Coast Guard.  We moved to Texas just before high school and that's when I got back into dance. It was the 80's so I was going to be jazzercise instructor, dance studio owner and if possible Dallas Cowboy cheerleader and /or Radio City Rockette.  I got out of school and was a trainer and restaurant manager for 5 years, then a retail store manager until I got my corporate job where I've been for 20 years this September.  There were a handful of jobs I left out when in college like the video store and hosting at restaurants, then waitressing and a photographer sales assistant.  I also was an executive admin to a door to door business when I lived a few years in my 20's in Florida.  I worked at Walmart on a work program in high school getting school credits for working. I was employed at a dry cleaners and was a Builder coordinator (showing people model homes for the reps on their days off), I was an apartment assistant and rented apartments a few years. I worked in retail for Harley for 4 years.  I worked for Dad at his carpet cleaning business during high school summers and I babysat.  I'm sure I left out a job here and there and many of these I did at the same time.  I always worked 2 jobs up until the time I began traveling with my job. 

3. My first vehicle was a small tan Datsun truck in high school. I drove it for 8 years. Then I got a red Mazda Protégé when I was the coordinator for a home builder. I had to have 4 door car for people to ride with me to the model homes.  I traded that in after a few years for a white Jeep Cherokee. After that I owned a red ford stepside small truck.  A few years later I traded that in for a burgundy red Ford explorer. I drove that for 6 years until I got my red Toyota Tacoma truck that I drive today.   So most all of my vehicles have always been red trucks or Suv's. 

4. I have had my "15 minutes of fame" when I was in dance in junior college. I danced in the Macy's parade in NYC and the next year I danced in Orange Bowl halftime in Florida.  I also danced in the governors inaugural parade in Austin and in Mardi Gras parade. 

5. Years ago when I bought my first Harley ( in '97), I bought it using one of those checks that credit cards send you to pay off other cards or to spend it. So essentially I charged my Harley. I paid it off though fast because as mentioned above, I was working 2 jobs.

Now I nominate:
Deb at Just Keepin It real 
Phil at The regular guy nYC
Lauren at Hope for the Moment
Chris at Tilting At windmills
Laura at We really got this


Now for the Battle of the Bands. I had so much fun being a host of a battle and the participation was awesome.  It was neck and neck and tied for a while.  However the winner is Willie Nelson and his son Lukas.  They won by 2 votes and i didnt vote.  It was so hard to choose so i didnt. I guess if i had to, i would choose Willie. I've seen him so many times and he's local.  The vote was 10 to 12.
Thanks so much for voting yall!!!

Have a wonderful day!

25 comments:

  1. Awe thanks for the nomination! You danced in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? OMG I am bowing down to you girl. Do you know that seeing that parade live was THE big ticket item on my bucket list? I finally did as part of my 50th birthday celebration. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have attended the parade twice as a spectator. Isnt it so fun!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi, dear Holli! Congratulations on receiving The Creative Blogger Award from our mutual friend Cherdo. I agree with you. She is a keeper.

    It was fun to learn more about you. I was amazed to learn all the places you have lived and the variety of job experiences you've had over the years. I worked at many different jobs, too. I was a shoe store clerk, supermarket produce department clerk, ditch digger and pipe layer on construction sites, worked in a welding plant, a machine shop and a retail beverage outlet and had a business as an executive recruiter for advertising agencies, all in addition to my main career path in television news and entertainment.

    There's an excellent chance I was watching the Orange Bowl and saw you dance in that halftime show. I know by now that your Harley is your pride and joy. :)

    It's exciting that your band battle turned out to be a squeaker. I'm glad the majority voted with me for the version by Willie Nelson and son.

    Happy Tuesday to you, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Harleys are my pride for sure. I sold my first one and now I have my dad's Harley that I bought from him when he was sick ( before his transplant).
      I usually stayed at all my places of employment for at least a year or more. When you're in high school and college, that's a long time for a job. Mostly the job changes was from my moving around a lot. My mom was part gypsy for a while.
      Congrats on your choice winning the BOTB.

      Delete
  3. Great post! Thank you for the kind words - I'm crazy about you, too! I think we're clones only you're attractive and I'm...well, me!

    Multiple jobs used to be my status quo. When I was divorced and my children were little, I worked Monday through Friday as a nurse; I'd drop the kids off at daycare at 6:30 a.m. and be on the floor by 7 a.m.. Three nights a week, I taught at a Vocational School in their late night adult education programs. I'd put the kids to bed at 8:15 p.m., the babysitter would arrive (she just had to sit there and study for college), I'd be out the door by 8:30 p.m. and teach till 11 p.m. Then on the weekends they visited their Dad, I worked two 12 hour shifts at a nursing home. If you ask my kids, they'll say I was home every night - so it worked like a charm.

    You had a TOUGH battle, girl! I was going to be happy with any outcome, they were both good.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the award! I love journals. My problem is that I never want to ruin them by writing in them. I think they're too pretty for my words and that what I choose to write in them won't be good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have a lot of job experience behind you!

    You ran a close Battle, but my favorite won and I'm okay with that outcome. Good way to end up on your first BOTB post.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness a nun!! I love that you are so in the moment with everything. Cool information. Congrats on the nom! I love your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know isn't that funny about being a nun!! I mean I was serious about it for at least 3 years as a kid. My cousin makes fun of me on that often. Its not everyday when you're playing house as a kid and one wants to be a nun. LOL!!
      I miss you lady!! Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. ARRRRGH! I have been bit by the terrible nomination bug! I'm not much of a participant in these things, but I promise I will do numbers one and two tomorrow... as soon as I'm done meditating on you starting wanting to be a nun and ending up a Hooters girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your award, Holli! Tight battle - my pick won this time! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY!! Glad your pick won. It was such a close race for sure.

      Delete
  9. You have had quite a variety of jobs and have lived all over! I loved hearing your five facts since I am new getting to know you. Have a great week Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula, I enjoy getting to know you on your Friday posts that you do. The one with the menu, what you're doing, etc. I like that!

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your Creative Blogger Award! It's nice to learn a bit more about you. ☺
    As for BOTB, my favourite didn't win, but the people have spoken. At least it was close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a tight race. At least your pick didn't lose by a landslide.

      Delete
  11. Interesting things you have done. Congratulations on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! I too have bought journals never using them and I'm happy to be blogging now. I love that you wanted to be a nun and your journey along the way. Love your fame in #4, that must have been fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. IMO, the best BATTLES are the close one, so you done real good here. I'm glad that Willie and Lukas won, of course, but I was surprised that I actually liked the Pearl Jam version too (I guess a lot of other folks did, too. Imagine that. Glad to hear you're having fun with BOTB. Keep up the great work.

    Your 15 minutes of fame sure sounds like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the encouragement. I definitely want to play again in the battles.
      I am very blessed to have had great fun with my 15 minutes of fame. I have fond memories of dancing.
      Thanks again for your vote and stopping by and commenting. I enjoy meeting all the new people ( to me) from the battle.

      Delete
  14. It was a pretty close battle. Unfortunately, my pick didn't win. Hope we see you at the next battle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea the battle would be so close. It was fun counting up the votes because it was back and forth and back and back and forth.
      I will be at another battle for sure! Thanks so much.

      Delete
  15. Good Battle, and I voted for the winner. I guess that makes me a winner too (just smile and nod).

    ~ D-FensDogG

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on the award and thanks for the nom! I will get mine up soon! I will admit I am a journal hoarder. I have so many laying around the house, some I have written in, some are blank. I used to do a gratitude journal and followed Ann Voskamp's daily journals. I don't know why I stopped doing it, but there it is. One day, I will get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your 5 Facts. They would make a great blog post. Hmmm, "15 minutes of fame", not sure I have one of those.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!