Thursday, August 27, 2015

Missing ol' Johnny Cash and Stevie Ray Vaughn

Happy Thursday y'all!!!   So its no secret i'm obsessed with Johnny Cash. I loved him and i am so bummed i never got to see him in concert.  I have a dozen tshirts with his name on it, my screensaver on laptop is Walk the Line, and i have his CD in constant rotation.
I am also equally obsessed with Willie Nelson.  I have seen him in concert a dozen times and i love every single time.  I recently saw Willie and Merle Haggard in concert a few months ago.   They released an album together called Django and Jimmie earlier this year.  One of the songs on the album is titled Missing Ol' Johnny Cash.  Its such a cute song! The two of them sing about Johnny and share some memories of him.
This is good ol classic country!!  Willie and Merle are country royalty.



25 years ago today , Stevie Ray Vaughn died in a helicopter crash in Wisconsin.   My mom was a HUGE fan of SRV.  He was a Texan and got his stardom playing in bars and clubs in Austin. He was born and raised in Dallas and started playing guitar when he was 7.  I was in college and was a waitress in downtown Dallas when i heard the news he had died.  It was a big deal in Dallas and all the radio stations played his music.  I got to see him in concert at Billy Bobs in Ft Worth the year before he had died.


Have a wonderful day everyone

13 comments:

  1. Oh I DID get to see Johnny Cash in concert once! Way back in 1978. And I sat on the front row. Right smack in front of the stage. I don't remember many of the details. Like how I got the tickets or who I was with. I do, however remember him playing Ring of Fire and that June Carter Cash was with him. I have always been fascinated with Johnny. Now he is my grandson, Darian's, favorite country star! That boy has good taste in music!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am super super jealous lady!! I even loved him as a kid and would watch all his TV appearances. Darian does have good taste for sure!

      Delete
  2. Hi, dear Holli! Thanks for paying tribute to these dearly departed legends of country music and Texas blues. I never saw these giants in concert but always enjoy watching your YouTube selections.

    46 years ago this month I was cleaning cranes, backhoes, forklifts and other heavy equipment with a steam jenny, digging sewer line ditches, dodging dynamite blasts, applying sealant to factory roofs in 100 degree temperatures and painting barns. I carried my transistor radio with me and one of the most frequently played records on my top 40 station throughout the month of August and into September was "A Boy Named Sue." That Johnny Cash hit is permalinked to my memories of hard labor in the sun in the late summer of '69 - 19 year old Shady workin' hard for the money on summer break from college.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dearie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadester!!! I am always so happy to hear from you my friend! I broke into a sweat and a hot flash just reading about the manual labor in 100 degree weather. Wow! Working hard for the money indeed. Bet you had a great tan. :)
      Thanks so much for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  3. Always loved the video to Cold Shock. Used to have the Pancho and Lefty cassette. Nothing on there quite as fun as this one, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt this a great song? I also wore out my Pancho and Lefty cassette. I was so bummed that they didn't sing that together at the concert. SRV is the best. I loved his music and he was so talented at the guitar. have a great weekend

      Delete
  4. Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble...awesome. I just loved him.

    I waited on Tom T. Hall one time when I was in high school...that's the end of my celebrity/work connections.

    Weird coincidence: I was just watching the "Hurt" video with Johnny Cash. That one really gets to me. He is so old and frail; it seems like all the words are truly his. I love an emotional video. If you're gonna make it, go for broke!

    Have a great evening, girlie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I waited on Tony Dorsett ( cowboy player) and Vanilla Ice when I was a waitress. Haha!
      Man that Hurt video gets me every time. Its so haunting and beautiful and raw. I love that album of his. He does a couple of other covers and they're so good.
      Have a wonderful weekend my friend.

      Delete
  5. I love Johnny Cash. I'm with Cherdo on the Hurt video. It's beautifully painful.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt it wonderful? Its so haunting and raw. He died very soon after the album was released. I ove the whole album.
      Thanks so much for stopping by today Janie!! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  6. I was a fan of Johnny Cash before I even realized he was a Country Music artist. I never thought him as a country artist. I just heard his music when I was a kid and liked it. Then when I heard his recording of Dylan's "It Ain't Me Babe" I was blown away and saw his music in a new focus of interest. Cash was a great artist and influence on the musical scene.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just can't ever go wrong with Johnny Cash and Stevie Ray. Both legends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Holli! Thanks for leaving me a get well message on my blog. I do [lan to BOTB Sept 1st. See you then, chickie-poo.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!