Tuesday, August 18, 2015

My awesome treasures

Good morning!!  Last Saturday I was out running some errands with my cousin J because her car has been broken down and is in repair.  She asked me if I would drive her downtown to a place she needed to go.  I didn't have any plans and I knew I could stop at some garage sales on the way to her place.  I stopped at a few garage sales but didn't see anything of interest. Then my last one I stopped at a few blocks away from J's, I scored!! I bought a beautiful glass cake stand and the glass dome lid for 5$! I really only needed the lid and they've been going for 20$ or more.  
After we were done with downtown and we were making our way back, we stopped at 3 estate sales. I felt like goldilocks. The first one was asking full retail prices and with no discounts. Usually on Saturdays there is always a discount. The second one didn't have anything left- it was all picked over. The last one I scored again!!  I spotted 4 vintage dolls baby doll size and 3 little vintage dolls that were size of my hand. 
The lady gave a great deal plus 25% off of those prices. I want the dolls for my Holliween party. There was a man a few people ahead of me in the checkout line and he saw me buying all the dolls.  She only charged me 1$ each on the little bitty dolls.  He grabbed one and said that it was worth 25$ and that it was made in the  U.S.  The lady seemed upset then that she quoted me a dollar but she stood with the price. After I paid her for everything, I was waiting for J to pay for her things. That man came up to me and offered me 25$ for all my dolls including the life size ones.  I said " no thanks I'm buying them because I need them and have been looking for them".  Dang nosy man!!   I also bought a gorgeous embroidered table cloth. The tag came off when I got home but I kept it. It's in a different language and it looks Greek or Russian maybe. It's really big and meant for a long formal table.  It was too pretty  to pass up. Not sure what I'll do with it. 
The legs came off one doll before I made it home. I had no part in that! 
The dolls are kinda creepy don't you think? 
Oh and I bought this deer head wine bottle holder. I'm obsessed with deer heads lately. 

Lastly, I stopped at one more garage sale before I got home. I picked up a stool for 3$ and an old vintage doctors scale (that still works) for 5$!!!!  I was so happy with all the deals I got that day! Nothing very big this time and all of it fit in 2 bags.  
It was a fun couple of hours and all that was before noon.  
Have you voted on my BOTB? If not, it's the post before this one.  
Have a great day! 

11 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh those dolls are definitely creepy. Can't wait to see what you do with them for Halloween. And, I use my glass cake stand quite a bit. I like to display cupcakes in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a haul, Haulli! :) Did you ever notice how those creepy dolls' eyes follow you all around the room..... especially late at night? :) (I'm just getting you in the mood for Holliween.)

    I hosted a garage sale last year and was selling some of my 45 rpm records that were duplicate copies. A man came to the house and took one look at my box of records and said "I'll give you $10 for the whole thing." He was obviously a reseller who operated a flea market stand somewhere. It rubbed me the wrong way that he didn't even bother to look at the individual titles of the records to see what he would be getting. I bought those records one by one over a span of many years. I loved them. I cared for them. They meant something to me. They meant nothing to that man but a chance to make a profit. The experience that I wanted that day was to have a guy come in and do what I used to do, spend a considerable amount of time checking each and every title and shouting with joy when he came across a record that to him was a treasure. That's the kind of customer I wanted and the kind I eventually got after I turned down the flea market guy.

    It looks like my vote in your BOTB helped to prevent a shut-out, dearie. :)

    Happy Tuesday, dear friend Holli.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally hear you on the sale. I always hope that people will appreciate the items I'm selling. I would rather give away for free to someone who deserves it or would appreciate it . I'm glad you had a customer that knew the value after the flea market left.
      Happy Tuesday to you Super Shady!!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed garage sales back in the day- I have no room or need right now. I can remember teaching the kids, check the price on something common- if it's too high, do a polite circle and leave. I rather do flea markets now, competition helps pricing. The cake dish is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love flea markets!!! although lately now that old is in - they are getting much higher than they used to be.

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful cake stand and top. What a great price. Great find on the dolls and definitely a little creepy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I am really excited about the dome lid. Cant beat the price for sure!! I know have a fairly large collection of creepy dolls. Not sure what to do with them all yet but I like them.

      Delete
  5. I am a 'past doll collector' and I spotted the $25.+ doll right off the bat. I would have been trying to bargain with you too. Although I no longer collect! LOL! I own that very same cake stand. Good bargains today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it the last little one with the porcelain face? I love my cake stand. I now have 4 and I need to stop. LOL

      Delete
    2. I'm thinking it is the first little one. The one with the 'rubber' hair. That looks a bit like a Betsy Wetsy. They are highly collectible.

      Delete
    3. Oh my!! I guess I will leave them intact and not take the heads off for my Holliween party. hahahaha!

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!