Thursday, August 6, 2015

My last day in Sturgis

Can't believe it was a week ago already that I was cruising along on the Harley with my hubs and good friends.  Sigh. This week in Dallas has been awful crazy hot and I want out! Triple digits every day up to 106. It's still 89 degrees at 9 pm! Nooooo.
This year is the 75th anniversary of the Sturgis bike rally. They are expecting over a million people to have attended this years rally. We go days before it "officially" starts and head out the weekend it does start.  All the vendors and events are there and we don't miss out. We saw a huge increase of people on Friday and Saturday. By Saturday, we could barely get anywhere because it was so crowded and lines everywhere. 
I was flying out on Saturday so we had 2 places we wanted to be. I wanted to start the day in Sturgis and then wrap up at the Rapid City Harley shop before I go to airport.  They had tons of vendors there and lots of big events at RC Harley. 
In Sturgis we walked through the Harley tents and saw the new bikes.  There were games you could play and sign up to win prizes. I got some junk like a coozie, rain poncho and beer opener that's flat and goes in wallet. Lol! 
Every bike brand was there. Honda, Victory, Indian, Kawasaki, custom builders , you name it!!   I like seeing the new models and the paint jobs. My favorite part is walking down Main Street and seeing all the bikes and the paint jobs they have.   
We ate lunch in Rapid City once we got there from a grilled cheese food truck. I love me some food trucks yall! They put Mac n cheese on their sandwiches and it was delish!  I bought a few souvenirs there and then Todd and I headed to airport.  My plane was delayed AGAIN!!  They have a bar and grill upstairs and it's before you get through security so Todd and I had a drink together before he left.   I got so sunburned!! I applied a few times but when you're inching along outside with no shade , it's going to happen.  I'm currently in peeling stage.  
I had such a great time!!! I had told Todd that I didn't want to go to Sturgis anymore. I may have lied.  I will go back I just don't want to go next year. I need a break. I love Deadwood too much not to ever see it again. 
Pappy and Pearl were the rally founders of Sturgis
Its carved into the tree- very cool!
The little chuckwagon had a Wienie dog in it.
I have pictures of this lady and dog from last year. So cute!
Parking lot in Rapid City- must have been thousands of bikes
Have a great Thursday! 

15 comments:

  1. Looks like you had another amazing Sturgis trip.......I loved seeing all the pictures! Maybe one day I will get there. Glad you guys are home safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people watching there must be incredible. Since I'm not a biker, maybe I will just go sometime for the entertainment. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, dear Holli!

    Yessum, it must have been quite a shock to return to a Texas blast furnace after enjoying cooler temps up north. I can't believe you also endured another flight delay! Mercifully, those annoyances were offset by the wonderful experiences you and Todd shared on your trip to the annual Sturgis rally. If most exhibits and vendors were already in place it was a great idea for you to get there before the official start of the event and get outta town before the crowds arrived. Food trucks have come a long way and I do not hesitate to buy meals from them. To prove that it's a small world after all, my father was an office equipment salesman and serviced American Machine & Foundry in my home town of York, PA. In 1969 Harley-Davidson merged with AMF and in 1973 Harley moved its motorcycle assembly operation to York. During that time period I was dating and married Mrs.Shady #1 whose father worked at the Harley factory.

    You wrote:

    << I'm currently in peeling stage. >>

    As a bloggy friend, you're very peeling to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in that York facility. Harley used to be an account for my current company for many years. I actually got to work there a week in that York facility training some onsight people there. It was Heaven!!
      Peeling to me- you're so sweet!! I am peeling and splotchy.

      Delete
  4. It goes by so fast. We look so forward to our trips for so long before hand and then sap you've been home for a week already!!! One nice thing about Southern CA is that even when it gets to be 100 degrees outside the evening always cool down. Wow, 75 years, that's a long time. Very smart to visit before hand a leave before those crowds start coming. That sandwich sounds yummy. Wow, those are some awesome bikes. So glad you had such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not into motorcycles, but I used to date a former Outlaw. When he met me at a restaurant one day and wasn't wearing his helmet, I smacked him on the arm with every word as I chastised him for riding without his helmet. He said, Ow! It's just in town. I said I didn't care.

    He wasn't allowed to ride without his helmet.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather bought me my first helmet when I was four years old. Fortunately its like putting on a seatbelt- I reach for helmet automatically. I love my helmet and feel naked without it!!

      Delete
  6. So many tricked out bikes in one place! What a dream!!! So glad you are experiencing Sturgis. The closest I ever got was a T-shirt brought back for me! :)
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an experience!!! A very fun time with gorgeous scenery. Its one big party where everyone gets along because you're doing something in common - riding. People don't care what you ride- you're there to ride.

      Delete
  7. So many, many motorcycles!! Glad you had a good time! Hope the sunburn is better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunburn is fading, I'm peeling now and splotchy. LOL

      Delete
  8. Awesome photos! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always heard it's an amazing fun time.Such great pictures! Keep going if you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh you had some fun. I love Deadwood. It's an easy town during rally. I rode solo there and stayed in the Martin Mason. Just wonderful! The others I was lucky to stay only a few blocks from main in Sturgis. It's so much fun but really tiring LOL. Glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love love love Deadwood!!! I cant wait to go again and I really want to stay there if possible. You're a brave woman to ride solo. It was fun but it was my 3rd time to go. I'm ready for something else like Daytona and Laconia.

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!