Monday, October 12, 2015

Missing Montana


Ok so it's been 4 weeks since I was in Montana and I'm just now sharing with y'all about my trip.  It started first with the quick wedding in Idaho that I posted about already.  From there we flew into Helena that Sunday after the wedding and arrived around 3 and was at home at moms by 3:45 after renting car and grabbing luggage.   This was the first time to have Todd with me and his first time to Montana.  Both of us had discussed that this trip was more about visiting Mom then doing lots of touristy stuff.  I originally wanted to drive to West Yellowstone so Todd could say he's been to Yellowstone and also see more wildlife.  It's a few hours away one direction so we opted out this time. We still did some fun stuff though and it was relaxing which is what we both needed.  
One day we went into Butte which is only 20 miles away and we did a historical walking underground tour.  That was very cool and Todd really enjoyed it. Our tour guide did a great job but Todd and I had some laughs later about him. I'll just add that he was from Colorado and he was late coming in for the tour and his eyes were a little red.  lol 
For the most part we didn't do a whole lot which was perfect. Mom lives at the base of a national forest so I took Todd for a couple of nice drives that are my favorite scenic routes. I did the driving so Todd could look at the scenery and for wildlife.  In fact, one day going to Helena, he saw a bear running up a wooded cliff. 
We saw a bunch of deer but we have lots of deer in Texas. It was open season for bow and arrow and we passed dozens of hunters on our drive. I would roll my windows down and tell the deer to run. Lol.   I saw some eagles and that was cool.  We saw everything from moose to elk as we get closer to Yellowstone but we didn't go that direction on this trip. One of my favorite highlights was staying a night at the Boulder Inn.  It's this old hotel that has hot springs and saunas.  We swam when we checked in and I also went swimming earlier the next morning before breakfast.   It was chilly and rainy but the water is warm and felt so great.  
All around where mom lives are old mining towns and i showed Todd a little deserted place that's cool to walk around.   It was a great trip and I want to go back. Texas missed the memo that it's fall and it's still been hot everyday.  
So here are some pics of our trip.....
My eagles i saw across from mom's porch. i have video too...
Continental Divide close to Butte
snow on the mountains 
Boulder Inn
magpies
Hutterites
Town Pump burritos are the best
Evil Knievel
Population was still around 3
gorgeous cathedral in Helena

We had layover in Salt Lake City so here is just before landing:


So believe it or not , these aren't all the pictures I took.  I held back . Lol.   Have a great Monday yall!

17 comments:

  1. I love all the pictures!! Thanks for showing them to us. My memories of Montana include Kalispell, lots of snow, and a broken leg!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine having a broken leg in Montana. Did the snow cause the broken leg? I hate that mom lives in Montana because it's so far and I love that she lives there because of the beauty and the peacefulness.

      Delete
  2. Hi, dear Holli! Life goes on and it's great to see you back to hootin' and hollerin' on your blog. I showed Mrs. Shady your pictures of Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, and she is already stoked about vacationing in that area. I will also show her these pictures taken in Montana. We both want to make the trip to Jellystone someday. We love changing seasons, small towns, peaceful settings, varied landscapes, natural bodies of water, old hotels and rustic cabins and cottages - anyplace removed from the tourist crowd. It's so cool that your mother lives up there. Cool too that you warned the deer about the hunters. Good for you! I'm so happy to see you guys smiling in all of these pictures. Just wish you wouldn't get sick every time soon after you return home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Shadester, I would personally write you an itinerary if you came to Montana. I know you and the Mrs would love it. The quaintness of the small towns is amazing and the history is just all around. The rivers and streams and wildlife is like stepping back in time.
      It does suck that I get sick every time but it's worth it. Thank you for your sweet support and encouragement while I've been gone.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a wonderful trip....have got to get to that part of the country one day!!!! Love and miss you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been many, many years since I have been to Montana and I think a trip visiting and resting sounds perfect. Love all of your photos. You actually did quite a bit and saw a lot of animals too! So glad you had such a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read a lot and sat on moms back patio with the river underneath and chilled. It didn't seem like we did anything. It was great!

      Delete
  5. I forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed the trees with their colored leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just gorgeous?! I had to take pictures because we just have brown crunchy leaves in Dallas.

      Delete
  6. Looks like such a great trip and such great wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was such a much needed vacation for us and wonderful to be with my mom. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. Thoughts...

    1- "Missing Montana"- the title to an upcoming country song written by Miss Holli...

    2- Beautiful scenery. Todd's a lucky guy in many ways...

    3- To the shirt people: um, it's Evel with two E's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It cracked me up that people would be so rude about Evel. He brought notoriety to Butte. Obviously not everyone enjoys motorcycles and his crazy antics. The scenery was gorgeous and I miss it already.
      I need to start writing that song!! My bad- I totally misspelled Evel.

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful countryside there. Always wanted to do a vacation in Montana and the surrounding states.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "We appologize" for Evel Knieval....that is hilarious. Bwahahahahaha

    Looks like you had a WONDERFUL trip and I'm so glad you're back, safe and sound. Sorry for my absence but I'm trying to get back on schedule, even if it is abbreviated a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I'm loving these pictures. I've never been to Montana, but it looks beautiful. Looks like y'all had a great trip!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!