Monday, December 7, 2015

Another one gone

So if you were a fan of the band Stone Temple Pilots (STP) , Velvet Revolver, or recently the Wildabouts, then you've heard that the lead singer Scott Weiland died just a few days ago on December 3.   Scott had just recently turned 48 in October.  He's only 5 months older than me.  Unfortunately he had such a tumultuous past and struggles with drugs that his death came as no surprise.  When I first read the news, I think either on Facebook or Twitter, surprise or shock was not the word but just huge sadness.  His wife swears that he had been clean and sober and that's not what killed him.  He died from cardiac arrest.  I read that his brother actually died a few years ago at age of 40 due to heart attack.  Whether he had taken drugs the night of his death or not, ultimately its what weakened his heart and still caused the damage. 
STP was in my constant collection in the 90's and early 2000's then he left the band and joined Velvet Revolver . I LOVED Velvet Revolver.  I played their CD's nonstop and knew every song from beginning to end.   Scott was with VR from 2003 to 2008.  He went back to STP for a few more years when he left in 2013 ( got fired) and started the Wildabouts.  He even did a Christmas CD a few years ago and I bought it on iTunes. Its not the best but its not the worst. haha!
Stone Temple Pilots has huge hits like Creep, Plush, Sex type Thing, Vasoline, Interstate Love Song,and  Big Empty.  I guarantee you know the songs even if you're not familiar with the titles. 
Scott was married 3 times and his last wife had only been with him the last 4 years.  He has 2 kids.
He was crazy talented and I saw many interviews he did over the years and he idolized David Bowie. Scott liked David's fashion and his creativity.
I know this sounds crazy but I have felt pretty sad about his passing.  I guess it would be different if he was the lead singer of a band that I wasn't very familiar with.  I just happened to really follow the works of Scott Weiland and loved his voice.   The good news is that he is no longer dealing with his demons anymore. He died in his sleep on his tour bus in Minnesota.  A pretty peaceful way to do if you ask me. Just sucks that he wasn't with his family. 
Here are a few of my favorites. Its hard to choose from so many though.
This is Fall to Pieces with Velvet Revolver.  His songs he wrote was from his many times in rehab and getting clean.  Lots of his struggles are in his songs.  You can totally tell that Slash is the lead guitarist in this band.  Duff is also in the band and he and Slash were both in Guns n Roses.
 
Here's a song called Sour Girl. The actress Sarah Michelle Gellar from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is in the official video but I couldn't find it.
This is Plush
 
 
So.  In other news, i'm trying to get in spirit and decorate the house for Christmas.  I am barely skimming the surface from what I do for Halloween and what I did for Christmas last year.  I'm into it but then i'm not.  I just do a little every night after work.   Have a great week!!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Holli! Thanks for posting these recordings as a tribute to Scott and his bands. He was responsible for some of the greatest rock sounds produced during the last three decades. I am happy to know that you are slowly getting into the Christmas spirit. Sometimes progress is a matter of taking baby steps and sometimes you take two steps forward, one step back. Please know that I continue to think about you and pray for your spirits and your circumstances to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy you are decorating. A bit at a time will get it done. That is exactly how I was last year. Just couldn't get into the spirit. This was a sad passing of this singer! Drugs take so much talent from us!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read a letter that his ex wife (the mother of his children) wrote right after his death....so, so sad for his children. I will tag you in it if I can find it again....puts a little spin on things. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 48, on a tour bus - makes you wonder if he really got to live fully? Bless those left behind. Bless you Holli (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude at work broke it to me. I had both the first two lps (AKA most of the songs you mentioned) and Tripping On A Hole In A Paper Heart was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!