Sunday, January 3, 2016

Battle of the Bands- Careless whisper

Hey y'all!! Happy New Year.   I am 2 days late but I got here as soon as possible.  The Battle of the Bands are on the 1st and the 15th.  Hey, i'm here now so there.
My battle is with the song Careless Whisper originally performed by George Michaels when he was in the band Wham! The song was released in 1984 when I was just a sophomore in high school.  LOL!
 Here ya go:

Ok so now for the battle. It is between two very different versions completely. We all have different tastes so it will be interesting which one you choose. I think you'll know which one is my favorite from some of the songs I've posted lately. 

The first is a live version of Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright.  Ben Folds had band called Ben Folds Five for many years until he went solo.  Rufus actually has recorded several tracks for films and movies and has appeared in a few movies as well.  Rufus does an amazing version of the popular song "hallelujah".   This performance was done in 2004 in NYC.


Next is performed by a rock n roll band Seether.  This was released and made the Billboards hot 100 in 2009. Seether is a South African band and did the cover originally as a joke but it backfired and ended up becoming pretty big for them.
 
 
Ok so listen to both and tell me which one you prefer.  I'm sure you've already been to the other battles but if not, go check them out.
 
  • Far Away Series 
  • Stephen T. McCarthy's Battle of the Bands Blog
  • Tossing it Out
  • DiscConnected (temporarily disconnected from BoTB)
  • Mike's Ramblings
  • Curious as a Cathy 
  • Book Lover
  • The Sound of One Hand Typing
  • dcrelief ~ Battle of the Bands 
  • Cherdo on the Flipside 
  • Angels Bark 
  • THE DOGLADY'S DEN 
  • Jingle Jangle Jungle 
  • Janie Junebug Righting and Editing
  • NovelBrews
  • J.A. Scott
  • Quiet Laughter
  • Holli's Hoots and Hollers 
  • beReInVintaged 

  • 28 comments:

    1. So much to say... First, have you watched the live version of this on YouTube (or MTV back in the day). If not, I'm going to link you. Check out the sheer numbers of people at this concert. George Michael was freakin' awesome back in the day. Not really sure why he stopped recording. I think he was better as a solo artist than with Wham. Faith was an incredible album.

      Okay, I just looked up Careless Whisper. Not the video I was thinking of... instead it was this one.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHb2XYeXcJI

      Ben Folds. There are several songs of his I really like. He always goes for the stripped down acoustic sound, and I really like that. Rufus Wainwright sounds familiar, but I couldn't tell you even one song of his... so maybe I'm just imagining that. I thought he sounded a bit flat in this live version. Is it just me??? I don't know.

      My ex-husband was into heavier bands like Seether. He knew I didn't care for them, and when he was mad at me (which was fairly often) he'd put in one of their CDs when we were in the car. No way out. Yikes. And then he'd crank it up loud. Of course, my migraines were even worse back then... so, oh the pain.

      I expected to really dislike the Seether version based on past history, but I was pleasantly surprised. I actually preferred it to the acoustic one (which I would have sworn I'd choose pre-listening). So, chalk up a surprised vote for Seether.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I agree completely that Rufus sounds flat. Not his best for sure. That makes me have a headache just thinking about your ex blasting loud music that your not a fan of. That sucks!! Thanks for the YouTube link. I am surprised and glad that you liked the seether version!

        Delete
    2. Okay, that wasn't the video I was thinking of, but I love it!!!

      This was the video I was thinking of (it's actually Wham vs. George Michael).

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf_Lwe6p-Cg

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I loved the video of George Michaels.

        Delete
    3. Hi, dear Holli!

      Happy New Year to you, dear friend! I hope your year is off to a great start. As you might suspect I am voting for the bold, full bodied version of "Careless Whisper" recorded by Seether. I enjoy (and prefer) those loud, rock-tuned guitars and the more intense vocal approach. Seether's is the type of music I have been listening to every day for the last three years. One vote for Seether please, and thank you very much for introducing me to this great South African band!

      I pray that 2016 will be a kinder and gentler year for you, dear friend Holli!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I share the same prayer for myself and for you my sweet friend Shadester! Happy New Year.
        I am so so happy that you liked the band Seether. I listen to them often and I am huge fan of them. I like a ballad they do with the lead singer of Evanancense ( amy), called Broken. I love that song. Have you heard that one?
        Your vote for Seether is noted.

        Delete
    4. The Wham! version is a song that I always enjoy hearing.

      I like Ben Folds and own some of his group albums--he's a very creative guy. Not much of a fan of Rufus and hope I never hear the song "Hallelujah" again--overdone, overdone.

      By default I figured my vote would go to Seether. Then I listened to them and figured they actually deserve the vote. Nice take on the song.

      A vote for Seether.

      Arlee Bird
      Tossing It Out

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for the deserved vote towards Seether. I really do like their version too. Ben is super talented and I am sure Rufus is too but he didn't do well on this song. Have a great day and thanks so much for voting.

        Delete
    5. Oh, I love this song! My best pal in the world looked like George Michael and we milked for all it was worth when GM was at his peak. While on a cruise ship, our cabin boy was certain my friend was George Michaels. He told us he was from the Phillippines and kept saying, "I know YOU, George Michael!" every time he saw us.

      Of the two contenders, Seether's version was nice but my vote goes to Rufus and Ben. Long time fan of both guys!

      Nice job, Holli! Hugs to you, my friend.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Big Texas hugs back to you my friend. I cant imagine having a fun with close resemblance to George michaels. wow! Thank you for your vote towards Ben and Rufus. I am more familiar with Ben than I am Rufus.

        Delete
    6. I'm a closet lover of George Michael and Wham! and I really do love his slow approach to the song. So, I thought I would like Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright. But it just felt 'too poppish' and I really didnt care much for it. I really like Seether, and was curious to hear what they had done with the song. The first few bars were a bit off-putting, but I suppose that is because I just wasnt in the right frame of mind and ready for Seether. I cranked it, put the headphones on both ears and LOVED it!!! My vote goes to Seether.

      Great Battle. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next time!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love that you loved Seether's version after giving it another chance. I do agree that it does start off a little annoying. I do love this version though! I never vote for any of my battles unless I have to break a tie. My vote would go to Seether too.
        I love George Michaels voice and could listen to his music anytime. Thank you for the vote.

        Delete
    7. Should I admit these were all new to me, not Wham of course, but these versions? Thanks for the education!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I get it. Many people have not heard of Rufus. Some are familiar with Ben and unless you like hard rock, you wouldn't be familiar with Seether. Thanks so much for stopping by. Did you like one version over the other? I appreciate the visit and you don't have to vote.

        Delete
    8. ANYTHING but George Michael!!!!!
      But, let's go with Rufus and Ben.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Got your vote for Ben and Rufus and NOT for George. Thanks for the vote!!

        Delete
    9. As an 80's kid I have to go with Wham!

      It’s been a great blogging year! Looking forward to reading more in 2016. Happy New Year Holli!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. LOL- so no vote? The original is not a contender. I do love the original too since I was also an 80's kid. Happy New Year to you Phil. I've followed your blog for almost as long as I've been blogging ( this will be my 5th year).

        Delete
    10. Love this song when George Michael does it.

      I don't know which one was Ben and which was Rufus in the first contestant video, but the guy standing at the microphone was an annoying singer when he was by himself. They sounded all right together, and the lone piano accompaniment was good, but that singer spoiled it for me.

      I can see why Seether is peeved that their version of this song became so popular, because I'm sure it was done as a joke that somehow got out of hand and went big on the charts. Still, I have to hand it to them, they did the song well. Give them my vote.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Rufus was the one at microphone and I happen to agree with you. Ben is the piano player and he's a good singer. He should have sung more of this. Thanks for the vote towards Seether.

        Delete
    11. Well, of course I like the one by GM best!! But I am going to vote for Seether even though I didn't like it at the start. Too much "loud music" for my taste. But it ended up being the one I liked best. Happy New Year to you my friend!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. haha!! Oh Paula you crack me up. Got your vote for Seether minus the loud music. Thanks for the vote.

        Delete
    12. I have and always will love George Michaels version. Having to pick one of the other two I will go with Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for your vote Debby. I have you down for Ben and Rufus. The original is a great one with George- its hard to beat.

        Delete
    13. Hey Holli,

      I did get your email and tried to send a quick reply to basically say I'd reply later... but your email was set up to not accept mail from unknown users. All I needed to do was quick the link and fill out some sort of form, but I was on my phone (which is where I tend to read email, if not write it) and just didn't feel like trying to tap it all out on the tiny screen. So, when life gets less crazy (soon, I hope) I'll reply to your email by responding to your email verification and then actually send you an email.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Ok. Normally I see all emails anyway in my suspect but I didn't have anything from you. Hope you're having a great day and feeling good.

        Delete
    14. Hi, HOLLI ~
      Almost missed this. Didn't realize you had sneaked in a BOTB later.

      I'm going to vote for BEN & JERRY... I mean, BEN & RUFUS. I wasn't really crazy about the vocals, but I did like the piano playing. And that Hard Rock stuffs is just too harsh for me.

      I hope 2016 is very good to you!

      ~ D-FensDogG
      'Loyal American Underground'

      ReplyDelete
    15. I wanted to give a woman comfortable clothes that would flow with her body. A woman is closest to being naked when she is well dressed.
      "fashion designing institute http://www.virtualvoyage.edu.in/course/fashion-design-college/

      ReplyDelete

    I LOVE comments!!!!