Friday, March 4, 2016

Knowing when to walk away

Happy Friday y'all!!!  I cant even tell you how happy I am for this week to be over.  It  has been a very stressful week for myself and Todd.  I don't think I mentioned that we have been actively looking to buy a home these last few months.  You guys, Dallas made the national news a month ago about the real estate boom for sellers.  Several large corporations are moving their headquarters to DFW area and have already started buying up homes. Toyota from California, Nebraska Furniture Mart, and Pizza Hut are the ones I can think of right now that have moved to Texas. 
Homes are selling within hours.  Hours- folks!!  When we go see a house with our realtor, there are at least 4 to5 other realtors with their folks so you have close to 20 people looking at same house at same time.  We called one house to make appt and they said we were welcome to come see it but there was already 21 contracts turned in.  Its been very deflating.  We had contract on a house I loved 2 weeks ago but our contract wasn't accepted. Then we saw a house last Friday ( a week ago today) and fell in love. It was extra special because my Mom was with us and got to see the house too. We had contract to them that evening and our contract was accepted the following day. Earnest money was paid and the option fee paid to have the week for inspector.  Our inspection was scheduled for Tuesday and we met the inspector when he was done at the house. Long story short, it failed miserably. Way too many serious things that needed repaired and very costly.  My friend said it best when she said the seller put lipstick on a pig.  It had so many beautiful updates and renovations and to the first glimpse it looked great. Truth was he didn't do any of it right or up to code. There was structural damage, large plumbing problem, and electrical box was shot.  That was just to name a few but was the most costly.  Our inspector was amazing! So thorough and detailed and I am very appreciative of that.
Todd and I had a powwow and decided to go with our gut feeling and we walked away. I signed the contract last night stating that we our not buying the house.  I become very private when large things like buying a house are happening.  Todd was very excited and told his family and some friends. I then caught on to the excitement and told my family and friends.  I was so embarrassed to announce last night to everyone - Oops, spoke to soon and its not happening.  Lesson learned that we are not to say ONE SINGLE WORD until contract is signed and keys are in hand.
My stress level has been through the roof. I've had a migraine since Monday and my face is breaking out like a teenager.  I am not cut out for this.  Maybe its just too soon to be doing something so big while i'm on verge of literally having nervous breakdown.  Not to mention how much money we're out for inspection and the option fee that we don't get back.  I am relieved that we didn't get ourselves into a house that is a Money Pit though.

On the good news, I am working half day today and driving to East Texas to pick up both my grandma Nanny and Mom. They both will stay all week with us next week. My brother Jeremy and his wife and my nieces are driving in tonight from Oklahoma to stay the weekend and visit . I am excited to have a full house of family.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

21 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Holli!

    Good for you! It's better for you to follow your instincts and walk away from that fixer-upper than to walk into a money pit and be sorry that you didn't keep looking. When people jump at the first thing believing they will never find better, it is called "coming from scarcity." When you adopt the opposite mindset and "come from abundance," new choices show up.

    I am happy to know you will be surrounded by family in the days ahead. I especially want to thank you for reading and commenting on a bunch of my older posts. I'm glad I saw them and I thank you again for making time for me and taking an interest in what I've been presenting in recent weeks.

    Have a safe and happy weekend, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to settle and refuse to. We've prayed over the homes and felt good on the ones we put contracts on. We are close to buying another one this week so we will see. Todd loved it and said I want this house which was great.
      The weekend was fantastic and I had so much fun with my nieces. Hope your week is a great one my friend.

      Delete
    2. Dear Holli,

      Today on SDMM I nominated you for the Music and Words Award. You are under no obligation to accept, but let this gesture serve as an indication of how much I admire you and care about you.

      God bless!

      Shady

      Delete
  2. Just like Toyota we want to move out of California too when Mark retires in a few years. It is way too costly. I can't believe how quickly those houses are selling....WOW! Sorry about the house but thankfully your inspector got it right. I know how stressful this is for you but I am sure the right one will come along for you. ((Hugs)) I have loved The Money Pit ever since it came out and be thankful you didn't buy the house!!! So happy your going to have company....enjoy each moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt the Money Pit so funny?! Its old but still cracks me up. My mom and I used to have it on VHS. We are still looking and I think another house might be the one that we have contract on today. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  3. Thing of it is, nobody holds you accountable for the miserable mess the house was. Not a thing to stress about on THAT side. And in that market, you might well be a long time getting to the inspection point with a house that IS worthwhile. Understandable. Don't be afraid to post if you like, we can all pray about it together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. As I type this, we have another contract on a house. I did tell Todd yesterday though that if this one doesn't work out- I need a break. Its looking very promising though.

      Delete
  4. Maybe now is just not the time for you to buy a house. Taking a step back and waiting for a buyers market may be to your benefit! I remember when we went through this years and years ago. When we found our house, we were just out for a drive. And there it was! The perfect house at the perfect time. And it all came together. Just like God wanted it to. Hang in there Holli!! Hope you have a wonderful time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do believe that Paula!! We've prayed for God's will in all of this and if the house is meant to be it will reveal itself. My weekend was so awesome with my family. I was so happy for 2 days.

      Delete
  5. When I saw that you were in the process of buying a house, I have to admit I said to myself, "Oh, please, say it isn't so!" Why? Buying a house is super stressful. You've been through one stressful thing on top of another stressful thing. I'm not going to run down the list, because YOU know them better than I. However, I've done the house buying thing under the BEST of circumstances and it was extremely stressful.

    Holli, I know you want to be the sort of person that doesn't let anything hold her down or back. In other words, you want to be Wonder Woman. Well, that's all well and great, but she isn't real.

    It's okay to give yourself some downtime to recover and get back to some sort of normalcy. When you're there, that would be an excellent time for a change like a home buying experience.

    Of course, that's just my two cents. So, you can take it or leave it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hone buying business is so crazy stressful that I could even imagine. Luckily I have Todd that has done it before and I'm relying on him a lot. I would rather take a break from the house hunting but Todd is pretty driven and focused on finding us a home. Wish me luck girlie!

      Delete
  6. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you saw from my FB pics that it was so great!! I loved having my family home. Have a great day Marci.

      Delete
  7. So glad you are having family over. That is always fun. Good luck with the house. You will find one in due time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the best weekend!! I loved having the house full of all my loved ones. My grandma and Mom loved seeing my brother and the girls. It was just so great! Thank you Karen. Have a great day.

      Delete
  8. Some people remodel because they want the home to be beautiful and they will live in it forever (I lucked into one of these house when the poor owners were transferred). Some people remodel to flip a house as quickly as they can. That's what you found. It's good you walked away. Is it possible that you would be better off outside Dallas in spite of the commute? I have family in a small town called Royce City. They commute to Dallas everyday. They love Royce City.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most likely we will be going outside of our desired area. Royce City is very close to where I went to high school. That area has grown so much over the years but the commute from that direction is not what we want. We are going north it looks like. The inspector was awesome and I am grateful for sure.

      Delete
  9. So sorry to hear that, Holli. Last year I was going through a homebuying crisis of my own - though not of the proportions you are, by a long shot. I hope you are able to find the home of your dreams soon!

    I'm Kim, a Battle of the Bands participant. And I also saw your blog during a search for Tuesday Tunes or something similar (I will probably start doing Tunes for Tuesday posts, but hopefully you or someone will resurrect the hop so that I can "participate" in that, too.

    Kim (ReInVintaged)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a story. I've never purchased a house, so I cant' imagine what you are going through. Houses do not sell so fast around here. My sister and husband have been trying to sell their house for two years now and have not received many offers.
    As for the inspection, better to pay that, then to find out your home is miserable. That would only make matters worse.
    Hope things are going well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sister, we were looking at houses and had to walk away from one because ours hadn't sold (didn't want to carry two without certainty that mine was gonna sell) AND Gonzo was in an accident. Now, every house I look at I mentally compare to the first one we actually wanted, ha ha.

    That said...GOD'S GOT THIS! Just remember that there is a house out there for you and have faith that He is gonna help you connect to it when the time is right.

    I'm gonna keep on praying for your health, home and peace of mind, my friend. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still your buddy, still praying for you, still checking in. <3

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!