Sunday, April 17, 2016

"O"- Organ donor?

Are you an organ donor? Did you know you can make sure by going online? It's on your drivers license so log into your DMV and simply check the organ donor box.  
I'm very passionate about Organ Donation!!! Why? My sweet Daddy was diagnosed with a rare lung disease almost 6 years ago. It progressed rapidly and I watched Daddy decline and end up confines to a wheelchair and an oxygen machine.  It was the most amazing phone call I'll ever remember when Dad got the call to get to hospital for his lung transplant.  He received a double lung transplant.  Weeks later, he walked me down the aisle at my wedding with no oxygen and no wheelchair.  We got almost 3 more years of a full vibrant life. I wouldn't trade these last 3 years for all the money in the world . Seeing Daddy have those extra years were priceless and all because a selfless amazing person was a donor.  When Daddy passed a few months ago, He of course was also a donor. He donated what he could and the hospital also was going to use what they needed for science and medicine.  I like to think that the surgeons, professors and doctors will discover a cure from daddy's organ donation.  

Please consider being an organ donor. 
Thanks y'all!  - happy Monday 

18 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Holli!

    I signed an organ donor card decades ago and I remain a strong advocate. The story of how organ donation prolonged your dad's life and allowed him to walk you down the aisle at your wedding is proof of its value. Some people have an irrational fear of organ donation, as if it will somehow "hurt" when their organs are harvested. My father was one of those people and, unfortunately, I was never able to convince him to register as a donor.

    Thank you, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like your father , many people aren't educated enough to know there is no pain. I wish there was more open discussion about organ donation.

      Delete
  2. People need to make this decision when they are FINE. Seriously. They need to think about this and decide so that it doesn't fall to family members. Family members are grief-filled knowing their loved one will not make it. They are in no state of mind to make decisions on organ donation. Plus, if they haven't talked about it with the deceased, they have no idea what that person wanted. It's just too much on top of an already catastrophic situation. So, I'm with you 100% on this. Make the decision so your loved ones don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Organ donation is such a self less gift. I am so glad you were able to experience that amazing gift with your father and appreciate the time you had with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't even imagine getting married without daddy being there. I am crying now so I can't type either.

      Delete
  4. I know those last years will always mean the most to you and your family. So thankful for that person who was able to give your daddy more life!! ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! We never got to meet daddy's donor. One of the hospital chaplain asked if we did, and she said "well he's about to meet him now". I got chills thinking about that. So cool!

      Delete
  5. I am definitely an organ donor. What goes around, comes around. Someone in my family might need a donated organ.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ma'am! I like the way you think. You just never know.

      Delete
  6. We are all organ donors here Holli!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As I have my wallet nearby, I can confirm I am a donor- although I can think of several organs I don't even want, much less anyone else...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You'd be surprised what they can use. So glad you're a donor but then again you have a big heart so I'm not surprised.

      Delete
  8. I like the last one. Your organs can be some other person's missing piece. Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!