Tuesday, April 26, 2016

W- Waylon and Willie

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson!!  I grew up listening to their music literally since a toddler.  Everyone in my family loved them and back in the 70's was when "Outlaw" music was created.  I remember buying my own albums of Willie and Waylon with my allowance money.  I saw Willie numerous times in concert starting in high school.  I had a very close friend who's boyfriend (Kyle) was CRAZY about Willie. We saw him anytime and everytime he was near DFW. In fact one time, Willie was a guest performer for some NBA basketball awards ceremony in Ft Worth and somehow Kyle found out about it. We got tickets just to see him and then left. It wasn't a full on concert but it was at least an hour's worth.  I've seen him many times since high school and he NEVER disappoints!!  I am so so happy I got to see him last year with Merle Haggard. It was so awesome.
I got to see Waylon right after I graduated high school at Billy Bob's.  I really just took it for granted that I would see more of him. Waylon was married to singer Jessi Colter and they toured together . It was so sweet to see them perform together.  So many interesting stories about Waylon. Did you know that Waylon was supposed to be on that plane with Buddy Holly the night it crashed? He gave up his seat to the Big Bopper who also perished that night.  If any of you were a fan of Dukes of Hazzard, you might know that it was Waylon who was the narrator on the show.  Honestly, we watched it because we loved Waylon but then my little brother got hooked on the show so we had to watch it.
It was a sad sad day for the family when Waylon passed on February 13, 2002.  He was only 64 and died from complications of diabetes.  I have to admit, I cried.  Sidenote as I type this: My sweet precious Nanny has diabetes and is currently in the hospital from a wound on her leg that wont heal. Her leg got very red and swollen and the Dr admitted her immediately.  Pray for her please if you're the praying kind.
Willie and Waylon both were a part of the Highwaymen group that released 3 albums.  Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson were the other Highwaymen.  Such a great group formed there!

I have to share a meme I posted today on my social media:
I will seriously cry and may have to go home if i'm at work if something happened to Willie.


This album has many fond memories for me.  We played the album constantly and I had my own copy.
Image result for wanted the outlaws

Highwaymen...
 
Mama's Don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys- FarmAID Live in Austin
Luckenbach, Texas- (Basics of Love)
Good Hearted woman- Waylon and Wille

So how funny is it that W day also fell on Wednesday!! Have a great day yall.

15 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Holli!

    I'm the praying kind, and I will pray for Nanny's speedy and complete recovery. I well remember The Highwaymen country super group and have always enjoyed listening to Waylon and Willie and the boys. You were lucky to have seen all those live shows over the years. It was indeed a fateful decision for Waylon to give up his seat to The Big Bopper on the ill fated plane... the day... the music... died.

    Happy Wednesday, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet Shady for the prayers for Nanny. Diabetes is a dangerous thing to mess with.
      How crazy that Waylon was a hair away from being on that plane!!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your nan. Hope she has a speedy recovery.
    I was aware that was Waylon narrating Dukes of Hazzard. I loved that show. All his narrations were spot on. Unfortunately, that's about all I know about either. I was never brought up on country music so never learned to appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think growing up in Texas also had huge influence on my love for Waylon. He was from Texas and so is Willie. You cant NOT hear them.

      Delete
  3. Howdy, HOLLI ~
    I too will pray for Nanny.

    You protly already know this but I too am a major Waylon fan. I like Willie also ('On The Road Again', 'Always On My Mind', etc.), but it's Willie's album of Standards ('STARDUST') that I like best by him.

    Waylon... I like just about all of it. I saw Waylon perform live 4 times at 3 different venues, and of all the many concerts I've attended, Waylon was #1. He told so many hilarious stories between songs that it was like two shows in one: THE ultimate Country Outlaw AND a first-class comedian!

    In fact, there's a song on that 'OUTLAWS' album you pictured above that I will eventually use in a BOTB contest. It's been on my 'Potential BOTB Songs' list forever. (Don't be stealin' it from me now!:o)

    BTW, that reminds me... You haven't BOTBed in quit awhile. Will you be returning to that soon, or would you prefer I remove the links from my BOTB pages and sidebar?

    I hope you're still with us. But if not, I should probably stop sending BOTBers here for Battles that don't really exist.

    Did you see Robin used Waylon's 'HER MAN' in her last BOTB contest? Waylon CRUSHED the competition... as is proper. Ha!

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. POSTSCRIPT:
      Holli, did you know Waylon really HATED the song 'LUCKENBACH, TEXAS'? At every concert I attended, he made it a point to tell the audience that. He said he hated the song and the ONLY reason he was about to play it is because he knew we'd all be mad if he didn't.

      What a sport!

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
    2. Oh wow- I didn't realize he hated that song. Its such an anthem song and we always make a point to stop in Luckenbach when we ride our Harleys south.
      I have had a pretty rough year and didn't blog at all, much less the BOTB. I really do want to stay on the list but perhaps you should remove me. I can always play along as a special guest. Eventually once my life can settle down a bit, I can be more reliable. Thank you so much for reaching out and checking.

      Delete
    3. And thank you so so much for the prayers for Nanny. I love her more than life.

      Delete
    4. No problem at all, HOLLI. I hope life acquires a peaceful level for you soon.

      Anytime you decide you want to participate in a BOTB installment, just drop me a comment on my blog and I will immediately and happily add a link to your blog for that contest.

      It's no trouble participating in BOTB on just an occasional basis.

      ~ D-FensDogG

      Delete
  4. I have the Highwayman on cassette. Played it a million times. Remember crying to Desperadoes Waiting For A Train when my dad died. And then nearly wrecking the car because of a four-yard patch the city had scraped the tar off of and didn't block off. Good Times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!! I remember the song that was playing in my old truck when I wrecked it. Highwaymen was such a classic with great songs.

      Delete
  5. I am the praying kind!! Saying prayers for your granny! I loved all of these guys too. Never seen any of them in concert. Well, except Johnny Cash one time. Yep, Willie is getting old, old, old! But I still find him sexy! Is that crazy??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh so jealous- I never did see Johnny Cash and always wanted to. No maam, I too think he's sexy.
      I appreciate the prayers for my Nanny. Its so scary.

      Delete
  6. Prayers for your Granny! I love your musical selections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers Mike!! It was hard to select the songs because I love every one of them.

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!