Thursday, July 14, 2016

I get by with a little help from my friend

So after last night, that will make 3 times that my dog Lila has had to go to the emergency vet clinic.  She ripped her leg open on something ( we think it was the small fencing around the bushes) and she had stitches put in.  It was on a Wednesday.  The following Friday ( a week ago) , she was able to get the donut off and licked some stitches out. We took her back and they added staples to her stitches.  She had been so good until yesterday. I got home from work and the first thing I've been doing, is look into her kennel to see if she has the donut around her neck.  Nope!! She was able to get out of it and had taken her staples out and a few stitches.  It had been really healing well too.  Todd took her back and this time they used glue. We switched out the collar that goes thru the donut to be tighter so fingers crossed, she can't get out of it.  We've paid a fortune with these vet visits! Like seriously close to a grand. Thank goodness for credit cards.  I just hate that it's just that much longer that she has to wear the donut and be on medication.  I put the cone on her yesterday and she freaked out so bad!!!! It's like she became claustrophobic and was crazy. She pawed at it feverishly and her tongue was out and she took off running and of course ran into things. It was horrible to watch and I started crying because she was so scared. She eventually ran into things and caused it to pop off.  We have no choice but to use the donut. It's less invasive and she can eat with it better.  I had also stopped on the way home last night after work at a thrift store and bought some infant leggings and shorts to put on her and to cover her wound so she could have a break from the cone.  I may try that tonight. Oh the things we do for our pets!
The other night we had a quick storm that came through with crazy winds. Our pool floats were blowing around the backyard and the dogs were watching out our glass door . I laughed so hard when I saw Lila leaning against Jax and he let her for at least a good minute or so.  Time enough to grab the photo.  

So this week has been the start of the funerals for our Dallas officers that were killed a week ago today.  It's been crazy with the POTUS here and literally hundreds of officers from other states, cities and Canada.  It's been solemn. 
Today was wear blue to support the police.  Have y'all heard any of the speeches from our Chief Brown? He's been amazing and such a great leader.  

My mom is in town and has been staying with my grandma for the last few weeks. It's my turn for her to visit and so Todd is picking her up today from east Texas and she will stay with us until she leaves Tuesday morning.  I'm so happy to have her back .  I only get to see mom once a year if I'm lucky so twice is so awesome! 
Have a great weekend. 

15 comments:

  1. Hi, Holli!

    It is sad that our canine companions don't understand what's going on - why they need to wear an awkward collar or cone. They probably think they are being punished. If only they could realize it is for their own good. My Toto was exactly like your Lila. We used the plastic cone on her and she hated it, sometimes tried to bite us as we fitted it around her neck, and even bit through the plastic and cracked it. Following the advice of our vet, we put a baby bootie on her sore paw to keep her from licking and chewing. Of course, in no time, she had worked the bootie off and was licking and chewing at the stitches. It is frustrating and I hope Lila's life and yours can soon return to normal.

    Chief Brown's challenge is reasonable and wise. I hope people take him up on his offer for them to join the force and promote community change from within.

    I'm happy to know that your mother will be visiting you again. I hope she enjoys her stay.

    Enjoy the rest of your week, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, my time with mom was brief but it was so good. I really wish Montana was closer.
      Chief Brown really made Dallas proud this past week. I can't believe that now it's happened to Baton Rouge. So sad!

      Delete
  2. 'Love the photo of Lila and Jax! Chief Brown has been speaking with great wisdom. I completely agree that we each need to do our part to resolve any problems in our neighborhoods. -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really made Dallas look good during the hard and difficult time.

      Delete
  3. The Chief is right -- the people who are complaining about police treatment in their neighborhoods ought to try it themselves. They're the perfect candidates, actually: they know the neighborhood and the people. I hope he gets a lot of applicants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do we!! I think it's s great response.

      Delete
  4. The Chief has been a rock, hasn't he. I was rather pissed at how the POTUS turned his speech into pushing his democratic agenda. I loved how presidential President Bush was in his speech. Praying for your doggie to keep the donut on!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also did not feel that the funeral was the right time or place to discuss his agenda. So rude!!!
      Knock on wood- Lila has kept there donut on lately. Yay!

      Delete
  5. Our problem in Ft wayne is our leadership is afraid to put cops in the neighborhood. It has become a knee-jerk force because the Dems in office are afraid of profiling and listen to liability insurers rather than crime stats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chief brown has had many complaints over the years but he made us proud this time.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe that about all her vet visits. Praying it all gets healed soon and things will be back to normal. I do love the photo of her standing on Jax back....LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed that her remaining stitches will get removed this Friday. I sure hope so!

      Delete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE that photo!!!! I know all about dogs licking their stitches open or biting their staples out. My Picasso did that and I had the same issues with the cone and the donut. He wouldn't lay down with the cone on. He finally relented after hours but I was really worried that he'd exhaust himself just standing. He freaked out at first too when I put that on him. The donut didn't work because he could still get to the wound site so it was a very frustrating (and expensive!) incident.
    You got a fabulous photo there!! Hope she heals well...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been very lucky that in the last week, the donut has not been taken off by her. It's a wonderful time!

      Delete
  8. Enjoy precious time with your mom, Holli.
    I love the doggy photo - so cute!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!