Thursday, July 7, 2016

Lila's long night

My sweet poor baby Lila hurt herself good.  Yesterday I had makings of a migraine so as soon as I got home, I laid down for a nap. Y'all have to know that's very unusual because I've never been a napper so I felt like poo!  Todd came home from work and I remember him closing the door so the dogs would let me rest.  Earlier, Lila had jumped on the bed and laid down next to me .  
It was a little after 8pm when Todd came in and he was holding Lila and asked "What do we do"?  It was a very deep open wound on her leg and I knew we had to take her to emergency vet clinic.  Being new to the neighborhood, I looked to see if there was a closer one than the one we knew of near our previous home. Luckily there was one super close and they were great. 
Todd realized the wound when she was constantly licking it but at first he didn't think anything of it.  She also went and laid into her kennel which she only does if she is scared or not feeling good. Lila ended up having to go under so they could clean the wound and sew her up with stitches.  
We got home a few minutes before 10pm. The dogs have always slept with us and so we all loaded into the bed. Lila was so stoned and woozy from the medication. She couldn't sit up and would lean and fall over. She had the clear cone on her and it scared her.  I was up all night with her. Lila was very restless and would be sleeping and then just sit up and act like she wanted to jump off bed.  She was having bad doggy dreams and every now and then she would whimper. It broke my heart! 
I didn't want her to get off bed so I he's onto her all night.  I thought maybe she would be safer in her kennel. She would be more confined and her little bed is in it. So Todd brought it in our room and we put her in.  That lasted about 10 minutes and she started whimpering.  Then Todd laid on floor with her but she still cried so we took her out and put her back in bed. 
This morning, we took the cone off her and I put a scarf around her neck to try to keep her from licking . I found a neck ring that is inflatable and is alternative to the cone online. Todd is heading to petco now to find one. That will be better than the cone so she can eat and not run into things as much. 
I hate it when my babies are hurt! We have no idea what happened but we think it might have been from a small fence around our bushes in backyard.  She is always on the prowl and she gets under everything.  
We have to take her to get stitches out in 10 days. Wish us luck for trying to slow her down for that long.  
Warning , her wound is graphic.  
This is what we hope to find so she doesn't have to wear cone. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi, dear Holli!

    Oh my goodness, I'm sorry to learn that Lila ripped her leg open. Dogs aren't complainers, and its a good thing Todd noticed the wound when he did and that you got her to a vet in a timely manner so she didn't suffer all night long. Your story reminds me of our dog Toto and the time she needed leg surgery and afterward was required to wear "the cone of silence" as we dubbed it. She hated that cumbersome plastic thing. I wish we would have know about the inflatable ring. It looks a lot more comfortable and less frightening for the animal. I love dogs and feel very sad knowing one of yours injured herself. I hope she is well on the way to recovery now. Keep us posted. I'll be thinking about you all, Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd was able to find the ring. It's gray but it's lot less cumbersome than the huge cone. I hate it when my babies are hurt or when they cry
      . Thank you for the sweet thoughts.

      Delete
  2. Poor Lila. I sure hope she is feeling better and her wound will heal quickly. And, you need to get some much needed rest now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm exhausted and I may be borrowing one of Todd's Xanax tonight......

      Delete
  3. I saw about this on FB, poor sweetie! Dogs never have a good sense of pain until they can't stand it. Ask mister- so what if I'm only walking on three legs over there. Feel better soon, Lila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's my little feisty go getter!! It was so hard seeing her down and whiny last night. Broke my heart!! She's already doing better when Todd gave her the meds. Last night she wouldn't open her mouth even for cheese. Today she took them like a champ.

      Delete
  4. Oh my! Worse than kids! Wishing you all good luck in healing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, poor little girl. Glad that she is better now. I don't like those cone heads at all. I like the one you might get, hope you found one!!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!