Friday, July 8, 2016

My city is wounded but strong


Last night just before the scheduled news program was to come on, our TV show was interrupted by live coverage of downtown Dallas and news of a shootout.  There had been a peaceful protest and so a large police presence was needed. There are pictures of officers smiling and posing with people during the protest. It was friendly. They've always remained friendly and peaceful in Dallas . Before 10pm, 3 officers had been shot and taken to hospital. That already was so saddening.  We watched the news for a few hours and finally turned off TV, thinking that the police had it handled and we would hear about the suspect in the morning.  I woke up at 6am to take the dogs out and I checked news from my phone. I immediately gasped out loud and it alarmed Todd.  I couldn't believe what I read.  Twelve officers shot. Five fatally shot.  How did this happen? I started crying and have cried off and on all day.  My city made the national and world news with deadly officer shootout.  Late this afternoon, the shooter was named.  It's said that he was angry at white people and specifically wanted to kill white officers. 
His sister even quoted in FB that white people needed to have a taste of the fear and death. Of course it was taken down shortly after. 
My "uncle" ( close family friend) retired a sergeant in the Dallas police department. I have a good handful of friends that retired or still active in the DPD.  I even dated a few cops back in my young single days.  I can't imagine if I had known the victims.  
I'm so sad and scared in the direction our country is going.  
These are a few of the memes, quotes , etc that have been shared on social media.  


I pray and pray and pray.  

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Holli!

    I've been thinking about you and the people of Dallas. This was indeed another dark day in our nation's history (among many). The first meme is the one everybody needs to remember. United we stand. Divided we fall.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shady, its been a very solemn week.

      Delete
  2. It totally pisses me off. I am the mother of a white deputy sheriff. I wish he would change his profession. Why should he continue to protect people who hate him for the color of his skin. Isn't that exactly what they are protesting. How stupid and vile. I am sorry, but I am very pissed off! God Bless Dallas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes exactly!! God Bless Dallas.

      Delete
  3. The fruits of Obama's campaign to unite by dividing. How do these idiots expect to overcome prejudice by emphasising the differences? Or accentuating what's wrong instead of the common ground we need to move to? The leaders don't care who gets hurt in their agendas; the people too stupid to open their eyes and see they are being played. The only common thing we have anymore is the unwillingness to shoulder the blame. GBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. This has been so hard. Our city is shaken. The funerals begin this week .

      Delete
  4. I have been praying for Dallas. It is so tragic. I'm so tired and sad of all the terrible things that are happening in our world today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please pray for Dallas this week. Wear blue tomorrow. Thursday is beginning of funerals. :(

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!!!