I am in Calgary this week and I really enjoyed it. I did NOT enjoy the flights to get here though. It literally takes all day to get there. First of all, being from Dallas and all I typically only fly on American Airlines. They’re based out of Dallas and I can rack up the air miles with them. AA wanted way way too much money for the flights to Calgary and back. My company wouldn’t approve it so I am traveling Delta this week. I have zero status with them and I am one of the last to board the plane and stuck in the back too. I know I sound like a travel snob but come on, I live in these airplanes and airports, I’ve earned my right to be a little snobbish in my head at least. I had a layover in Salt Lake City ,Utah and I will say that the view was nice while staring out the windows during my long layover (my flight was delayed another hour once I got there). I’m leaving to home today and my layover is in Minneapolis which has a nice airport too. I hate connection flights though, I still get nervous that I wont have time to make plane. I’m not landing until 10:30 pm tonight. It will be late by the time I get luggage, and car to get home. Geesh.
 |
Touchscreen elevator ,y'all! At the Calgary airport. So cool.
|
Have you ever heard of Banff? Well, it’s one of Canada’s oldest national parks. It’s a very nice ski resort town this is in the heart of the Rockies. GORGEOUS! Well, Banff is just short of 2 hours to get there one way from Calgary. I went to Banff 2 years ago with 3 other ladies to have dinner and back so I thought what the heck- I can do this again! I decided to drive up there after work this past Tuesday night. I am so glad I did because it really beats sitting in the hotel room all night. I pulled over and took what pictures I could with my blackberry camera.
 |
There was elk everywhere on way to Banff
|
 |
| Canada Rockies |
 |
| Banff Springs Hotel ( i didnt stay there) |
 |
Downtown Banff
|
 |
| Pond facing the mountain |
My mom lives in Montana and is supposedly only 6 hours away from Calgary. I really wanted to fit in a visit before or after my stay here but it just didn’t work out. Being this close to Mom made me miss her especially more though. Maybe next time I come to Calgary my plans will work out in her favor. The next time I come though I definitely want to stay one night in the Banff Springs Hotel. I am mesmerized by the architecture of this hotel. I still did not make the time to go inside and actually look at it. I wished I would have walked through it like a customer but it was starting to get dark so I wanted to head back.
Alberta is also apparently known as a great beef (steak) location. Everyone kept saying “ oh you got to have a steak here”. I would say “but I’m from Texas and we know our steaks”! Anyway, I went to a place last night to have a steak and it was good. It didn’t knock my socks off though but it was nice for them to want me to be in the Calgary spirit.
I just wanted to make a quick post so talk to ya soon.
I was supposed to go to banff several years ago with my husband for business and he had to cancel I have not let him live it down yet. SO love to go. Following from she speaks, come visit when you get a chance. also have some great giveaways going on if you scroll down the older posts.
ReplyDeletewww.stayingclosetohome.com