Well, are you all ready for Christmas? I truthfully haven’t even started. Mostly
because the main people I’m buying for are my nieces and I’m getting them gift
cards. I have a few people I have to get
real presents for and I’ll do that this weekend I’m hoping. I did get a few more decorations in place
around the house so that’s good.
I still need to clear off my kitchen table and get the tubs
out of kitchen and back into the attic.
Here are some pics of my fireplace and mantle. It’s a mishmash
of my Grinch collection and vintage Christmas.
A Grinchmas!!
Last Friday, my plans to go to downtown Mckinney got cancelled
because my friend had a funeral she had to attend to. So we’re rescheduling for
another time. I called up another friend and we went thrifting for a few hours
and had a great time despite it raining all single day.
I bought a few cute shirts and some bags of ornaments and
Christmas cards. In my ornament bag, I was
only interested in the small vintage santa and Mrs Claus that have been bejeweled.
Someone wrote on bottom of one 1976. The bag cost 3.99$ and I was so excited!
A few nights ago, a few coworkers and I drove to downtown
Dallas to have dinner and go to the Deep Ellum Art bar to show some support for
our coworker Ray. It was open mic night and we wanted to see him perform and play
his guitar. We had so much fun!! Basically on open mic night, anything goes-
rap, ballads, country, you name it! Some
good , some not so good but God love them it took guts to get up there !! I realized after getting home a little before
11 pm and not in bed until later , I am old and staying out late on a “school
night” is hard. HAHA! I was dragging all day yesterday and I couldn’t wait to
get home and sit on couch.
We had our department Christmas party today at work and we
did the white elephant game. That was so
funny because people bring some of the strangest gifts. One person ended up
with a small package of double A batteries , another person ended up with a
case of Bush bean cans , and there was a set of desk top trash cans for
pens. There were decent gifts too such
as what I got and that was Starbucks gift card. One gift was so creative- it was a box of 12
different soap bottles with a typed up note that was for Clark Griswold and his
soap of the month subscription. So cute! We had lunch catered with turkey and dressing
and twice baked potatoes and green beans with peach cobbler. So yummy!!!
I am working a half day tomorrow and then i'm on off until Monday. Yay for long weekends!
How's everyone doing? The holidays can be hard for so many. I am on verge of tears quite honestly because i'm missing Dad. Tradition is tradition and I've spent every Christmas day with my Dad since I was a kid. This will be my 2nd Christmas without him and almost 3 years he'll be gone ( January).
Just know that i'm thinking of you and you're not alone. xoxo





Office Christmas party gifts are always terrible, LOL! I never got a good one in all the years I was in the workforce.
ReplyDeleteThey really are. I know to keep my expectations on low scale! LOL
DeleteHi, Holli-berry!
ReplyDeleteMerry Grinchmas, dear friend!
I love your combination of traditional and whimsical Christmas decorations. I am sure holiday visitors will smile and giggle when they gaze at your festive display.
That rainy day had a silver lining because your plan B, going thrifting with a different friend, yielded some tremendous bargains. It was nice of you to show support for your coworker Ray by watching him perform at open mic night at that Dallas bar. I know it is not the same as karaoke, but I just wanted to tell you that three different scripted TV programs Mrs. Shady and I watched recently had scenes in karaoke bars with couples all singing the same song - "Islands In The Stream," the 1983 hit by Kenny and Dolly. I am happy to see that famous smile of yours gleaming through the blue light of the club.
Your department's Christmas sounds like a hoot and a holler. Mrs. Shady has a large family and some of our happiest holiday memories revolve around playing the white elephant game.
Wow, you do have a long weekend coming up. Good for you!
I know you are missing your dad, Holli, and I regret that you are left with only your happy memories of Christmases spent with him. I will be missing my dad, too, because he died on Christmas Day and, unbelievably, so did his father! Last Saturday, Mrs. Shady and I joined other family members and traveled to a beach on the Atlantic coast where we scattered the ashes of her late sister at the water's edge. It took all this time for us to work out the logistics with her large family. Now that we have some closure we can all better focus on Christmas.
Thank you for the update, dear friend Holli, and enjoy your long weekend!
Oh Shady, i'm so glad you guys have the closure and had the beautiful ceremony of ashes on the beach.
DeleteFortunately there was no Islands in the Stream performed the other night but there were still some painful performances. LOL
We will both be missing our Dad's but we can focus on our family who are with us.
Have a great weekend!
I'm not even half ready for the holidays. I'm a unrepentant giver of books and handmade things. I've only made about a third of the things I'm giving this year. Wish me luck, lol!
ReplyDeleteYour dad is always with you. As my little brother is with me. This is the 5th year, since he became spirit... the Winter Holidays were his favorite part of the year.
Oh my - how lucky the recipients are to receive a special handmade items from you. I do wish you luck but you'll get it done!!
DeleteHolidays can be hard for memories of our loved ones but we just have to take comfort that they're with us and enjoying the holidays along with us. xoxo
Well, first off I am glad to see that, for the first time in my life, I am actually ahead of so many people in Christmas buying! We had a gift exchange at work, but I opted out because I always end up broke and can't get anything decent for the poor Joe stuck with me (and yes, it woulda been the same this time). I got "lack of work"ed Wednesday morning, so I'm off till Monday as well. And we had an "old neighborhood" Christmas get together Saturday that was missing a dear sweet man who refuses to celebrate as it was around Christmastime his wife passed. You will have that with such an emotional time.
ReplyDeleteAhhh- maybe yall should go take him some cookies or something to cheer him up. I am lucky to have friends and family around me that will keep me busy and not have too much time to cry
DeleteI love all your decorations! They are amazing! So much fun! At least you got a Starbucks gift card! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry on the passing of your father!
Big Hugs!
Thank you- January 12 will be 3 years since he passed and I haven't been the same since. Lots of depression and sadness but i'm climbing out.
DeleteI really enjoy my decorations, I just wish I had time and energy to do them all like I usually do. I LOVE my starbucks card was soooo excited my coworkers were making fun of me. Thanks for stopping by xoxox
Wait... what? Did you just say that you are "not" ready for Christmas? I thought I was doing wonders by having the outdoor lights on one of the trees, then I saw how decorated your house is. That's some crazy Christmas spirit happening there! :)
ReplyDeleteHAHA- thank you. I really have sooo many decorations that this doesn't touch what I normally do. I did the mantle and a few small side tables and that was it. very minimal compared to usual.
DeleteMy porch has one strand of lights and that's it for the outside though.
I bet your tree looks wonderful! :)
Your decorations look awesome! Santa and Mrs. Claus are so cute. Sounds like a fun time at the bar. For some reason I have never enjoyed doing a white elephant gift exchange. Glad you had fun at your party and the food sounds yummy. Have fun shopping. ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteI have had some really funny laughs at white elephant exchanges and others have been aggravating. Some people just don't put much thought into it and it shows. LOL
DeleteThe shopping was fun but now I still need to get stuff for Todd without him with me. haha! I saw on FB you had that precious baby this weekend. Big smiles!! xoxo
It's a bittersweet time.
ReplyDeleteBut you have the Grinch. I'd say you're ready!
Merry Christmas, Holli.
Robyn, I am thinking of you always! Thank you for the Christmas well wishes my friend.
DeleteI love your Grinchmas collection. Have a wonderful Christmas.
ReplyDeleteThank Holly, I kind of a thing for the Grinch. LOL
DeleteMerry Christmas to you!!!