Monday, February 18, 2019

Mimi and Marie Kondo

Hey everyone, Happy Monday.  How was your weekend?  I started a project for myself recently to go through my closets way before the Marie Kondo craze. After watching her shows though, it definitely inspired me to have my drawers and closets more organized. In fact, a few weeks ago I organized my underwear drawer by adding shoeboxes and actually folding my underwear which I never thought I would catch myself and admit to doing. LOL!!   In my guest bedroom, I have a wall to wall closet and the closet rods were being held by cheap plastic end pieces.  We have had to replace a few of them in last few years and it was time for this closet- the piece was about to pop off any second. Todd is replacing them with metal end caps and screwed into the wall. This meant every single thing had to come off the rod so I put on top of bed (like MK encourages) and a pile on each side of the bed.  It was perfect timing to go through all that I no longer like or no longer fits.  HOLY COW! It took all day yesterday.  I felt so accomplished. I have 2 bags that I gave to coworker today, my niece came over and ended up stuffing a huge industrial garbage bag full for herself, I have one bag for goodwill and a pile of spring clothes that my local consignment shop is accepting.  I had 83 hangers leftover and an empty box that held sweaters.  Yall, I am a shopper and for a long time, clothes shopping was pretty much my hobby for many years.  I have toooo many though and this process opened my eyes drastically. I am on a roll and will continue to discard.  I had also just took 4 bags of clothes and random stuff to Goodwill last week and took 2 huge bags of clothes stuffed for a church friend of mine.  I am embarrassed to say I still have 2 closets in the house of clothes that i'll be going through soon. My mom is coming in April though so I wanted to start on the guest room.



I have been stressed trying to get my house back together after the holidays and I want to make some changes in my living room like new furniture and rugs which cost money but I am working on redoing some things.  I am still not breathing great and I've been super stressed.  Asthma sucks and its wearing me down. I have been stress eating!!

Lastly, we celebrated my grandma's 91st birthday on Saturday. We all got together at this yummy Italian restaurant for her with a cake and gifts of course. I am So incredibly blessed to still have both grandmas and both are 91.  Nanny turned 91 back in July so she will soon be 92 and its so awesome.

So that was my weekend - it was a busy one but a good one.  Oh and Todd bought me some beautiful tulips from local grocery store for Valentines and matching Harley Davidson license plate covers for my truck. Its something I had asked for and I was so happy to get them!! He bought them last week in York at the Harley plant.   
Have a good week!



14 comments:

  1. You truly are blessed to have your grandmas. 91. Bless her heart. I only knew my maternal grandma and she passed when I was 16. I was devastated. I'm a shopper, too, and I really have to get things in order with spring only about 20 days away. If you could see my underwear drawer. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my friends are lucky to still have at least one living grandparent so I know how blessed I am. My weight fluctuates like crazy so I have held onto more clothes than I should. I also work in a business casual environment so I tend to have a work closet and then I have my casual weekend clothes closet - then I have the dresses casual and work. UGH I have too too much. It feels so good to shed! My underwear drawer was a nightmare and I was so glad to get it organized.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Holli!

    Thanks for letting us know what Todd bought you when he visited the Harley plant in York. I was curious. Yessum, back in the 1960s and 70s, my ex father-in-law worked on the line at that Harley plant assembling those big bikes. It was also nice of Todd to surprise you with a bouquet of tulips for V-day.

    You are indeed lucky to have two grandmothers at age 91. That's terrific. The birthday girl looks fresh as the first rose of spring. I'm glad you took her out and showed her a good time. I am sorry to learn about your breathing difficulties caused by Asthma. I hope you are soon breathing easier.

    I applaud you for organizing your house and for being willing to part with items you are likely never to use. Too many people are pack rats and keep everything. I am sure the needy recipients of your articles of clothing will be grateful.

    Have a wonderful week, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have A LOT OF STUFF!! The good news is that if I had to walk away tomorrow from all of it, I could. I am very sentimental on some things but at end of day, its things and I have got to scale down. Our home is not very big and I want to make it look more spacious. I also don't need to own my department store at home which I pretty much do and its embarrassing. I will say I am very good about wearing most of my stuff and not the same things over and over.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I am just getting started!!! Dang, how in the world did it accumulate so much so fast.

      Delete
  4. She is looking like 61. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt she beautiful!! I will pass on the compliment. She will be so flattered. Thank you

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your grandma! It's awesome you have both your grandmothers still with you.

    I am soooooooooo ready to Marie Kondo my house, but I need to clear time in my schedule. I'm 99% sure I have stuff that hasn't seen the light of day since my college freshman son was a toddler. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a big project. I really want to just take some time off and really dig in but I cant right now so its being done in small pieces. It still feels good to purge though. I went through our dvd's last night and I have a bag of movies now to donate- many still wrapped in its plastic. My inlaws get us one every year and its usually not one we would buy.
      It was a little like Christmas when I saw some clothes I had forgot about. That's the fun part!

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to go through my closets. I was going to do it right after I was done with chemo, but I think I should wait until after I'm done with radiation. My body keeps changing and it will continue to do so for at least 6 months. I better see what glories I end up with before I get rid of stuff, lol! In the meantime, I've been working on other spaces. And that is very satisfying.

    Happiest (belated) Birthday to your grandma.

    And about the asthma *sigh*. I know just how much it sucks. I hope things get better and very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is satisfying isn't it? I love discarding so much crap and boy do I have a lot!!!
      I also tend to fluctuate a lot with my weight so I have several sizes in my closet. I still don't need as much as I have though. Wished we lived closer, I can give you an entire new wardrobe. LOL - for real.
      I started taking prednisone steroids this week so I am starting feel a little more relief but its been the longest I've ever had with struggling with asthma. sucks!!

      Delete
  7. I definitely need to watch her. I need a lot of inspiration to get started here. We plan on moving and we have way to many things. Wow, you accomplished a lot!!! So sorry about the asthma. Make sure you take care of yourself. Love the Reese's joke. Happy Birthday to your grandmother. Yes you are blessed. Those were sweet Valentine's gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Grandma! She looks great! Well done on the clearing out! I have been doing this for the past 2 years and it feels amazing!! Please take care of your health! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!