Its getting serious yall! I've heard for a while that Bees are getting to be fewer and fewer and lately its proving to be true and getting worse. We really really do need to take measures and save the bees.
My goal is to go organic on my gardening supplies and sprays. There are specific chemicals in gardening sprays that are deadly to bees. I'm also going to plant more flowers that bees are drawn to. Whenever I've been in my pool and see a bee in the water, I get a leaf to scoop it out and lay it on concrete for it to rest and dry out. Some I've seen fly off and unfortunately a few didn't make it. At least I try.
I am still just so sad and really missing Nanny. I just cant talk about her today. I am not in good place to cry. The funeral was this past weekend. I actually read a speech I had written at the gravesite service.
So today is about bees!
Thank you for all your love and sweet comments on losing Nanny. It means a lot to me!






Hi, Holli!
ReplyDeleteThis is a movement I can get behind. For years Mrs. Shady and I have been adopting the measures you outlined and implementing gardening practices to help the bees. We planted bee friendly flowers and flowering shrubs and trees on our property and switched to nontoxic pest products. Ever since I was a child I have gently scooped bees out of swimming pools to give them a chance to survive. All of the memes you posted are important. Think before you swat, because the insect you find annoying or threatening is working hard to save the planet.
I'm thinking about you as you continue to mourn and miss your precious Nanny, dear friend Holli.
Awesome Shady- so glad yall have already been in practice of planting bee friendly flowers and using nontoxic pest products. I'm excited to get started this season doing the same.
DeleteThank you for the sweet thoughts- I really am missing her so much.
If bees go bust, they're taking us down with them.
ReplyDeleteExactly!! Who knew they had so much impact on our world.
DeleteI agree this is a GREAT cause, and too many people don't stop to think what they can do at the garden level. Me, I don't garden, but I don't do stupid stuff like swatting them... and I enjoy all flowers, including dandelions!
ReplyDeleteI do fear of being stung but I try to dodge them and not swat. I really want to see them live on.
DeleteI've noticed a lot less bees hovering around the fruit stand in past couple of years. I'm scared of them, even though I was stung many times as a child, but bees are a necessary part of life on this planet.
ReplyDeleteit makes me so sad to see their decline. I am also scared of being stung but now I will do everything in my power to not swat at them.
DeleteI agree with you 100%. Without bees we will not have all the wonderful things to look at or eat without them pollinating them. We need to eat organic and practice that at home in our yards.
ReplyDeleteI'm going to nursery this weekend to find some nontoxic chemicals. I hope and pray we're not too late.
DeleteI love bees. The other day I had a little party with my young nieces and nephews. A bee flew in the house and the kids all freaked out. I said it's just a bee. It was a the window. I got him in my hand, walked to the door and poof, he flew away. No need to kill him. My 27 year old niece couldn't believe what I had done. She said weren't you afraid he would sting you. I said no, I think he realized I was out to help him and not harm him.
ReplyDeleteYAY!! That's awesome. I am so glad you saved it and equally glad you didn't get stung. I hope more people can be as brave and save the bees if it gets somewhere it shouldn't be.
DeleteI'm a terrible gardener, but I do go out of my way to have bee-friendly, low-maintenance plants. That comic you posted is so sweet. I'll be thinking "Thank you little bee!" everytime I get a visitor to my lavender and hostas.
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't say i'm a gardener but i'm really trying harder to save my plants and flowers that are around my backyard. I am planning my new additions now. So excited!
DeleteYes without the bees to carry the pollen we will lose so much in gardening! Good for you in trying to save them. I might just think about some flowers this summer.
ReplyDeleteWorrying coincidence, I just finished reading a blog post (over at
ReplyDeleteStuff from Ellen's Head), where Ellen asks "Where are the bees?" since her flowers are not getting fertilized--so no seeds for next year. I have a tiny balcony garden, but even I have noticed the thinning in the bee population. I hope more people start taking measures towards protecting such an important part of our survival.
Sending you gentle hugs.
It's all so sad! I'm doing all I can. My neighbours hate "weeds". I love my dandelions and let them grow! They hate clover too and take it out! Errrr......!! Big Hugs!
ReplyDelete