Monday, September 23, 2019

Another hard step

I'm still in rearranging mode in my home. I'm having to still make room for my roommate and stuff is everywhere.  I need closet space and my wedding dress was in a huge box after being preserved. My sister n law came over and told her i needed to get rid of it and i didn't want to bother trying to sell it. My first choice was to donate to Angel gowns.  This is an organization that creates baby burial gowns from donated wedding and formal dresses . They're given to families who have suffered the loss of a child before, during or shortly after birth.   They actually have so many donations that there was a waiting list for them accept your donation.
My next option was the successful one. There is a shop about 40 miles from the house called We're all about the Dress.  This is straight from google:
About us
"We want to make sure every military bride and every prom lady feels like a princess when they walk out of the store."

Our Mission
To provide free prom dresses for teenagers whose parents do not have the financial resources, an provide military and fire, police and EMT brides with free wedding gowns.

The Founder
Janie Tillery-Wood founded the non-profit project "We're All About the Dress" in 2008. During their first two years of operation, they expanded their services to cover not only Birdville Independent School District but the whole State of Texas.

In 2013, after the loss of her brother, a retired U.S. Navy Seal, Janie decided to give back to the military by offering wedding dresses and accessories to military personnel of all branches.
In 2016, Janie added police and fire officers and EMT brides  to our giving in honor of their service to our communities

When we called , they said they were only taking size 12 and up and to just come straight over . If if was smaller, they couldn't accept it .  Fortunately my dress met the standards and we jumped in my truck and arrived at 3:39 and they closed at 4.    It was a very emotional drive home.  That dress represented everything wonderful to me.    I pray it makes the next person feel like a princess and bask in the beauty of the dress.  I remember the day my friends and i went wedding dress shopping. One of the most special days of my life. When i put my dress on, everyone said immediately that this was the one!!  I tried on dozens but i went back to that one.    So now its gone.   There was no reason to hold onto it.  
Please send strength.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Holli!

    I send strength to you, dear friend, and you continue to demonstrate that you already have plenty of it. It is a blessing that you found that non-profit enterprise because, just like your gown, it was "the one," the best way to part with it. I am sure it will find its way to a deserving woman or girl and make her feel very special when she wears it. It was indeed another hard step for you, but it was the right one.

    Please hang on, dear friend Holli. Better days are ahead, much better days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Who wants to buy... this diamond ring..."

    I wish there was a better way to fill the hole than, 'I understand'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I can see why it would be an emotional day to get rid of the wedding dress. But hopefully, it clears space for a new and better life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a wonderful donation you made. ((Hugs)) I know it wasn't easy and glad you arrived before they closed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will take time...lots more time than you will want it to take. But you will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending strength Holli, but that was a wonderful way to honor the Special Dress and know that the next person who wears it will be receiving such a Blessing! It is a hard step and it's wonderful that such Charities exist for making it perhaps a little less painful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness Holli, im sending you strength and all sorts of healing juju your way.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!