Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Whirlwind weekend

Happy Tuesday my friends. Last Thursday was the big event for Refuge for Women and it was so great!!  Yall, I WON an apple watch and airpods!!!!! So here is a funny story, we had a great auction with some wonderful gifts like trips to Belize, a diamond necklace, spa packages, 2 guns, etc. One of the items i really really wanted was the Cricut so that i could create some fun vinyl stickers and crafts.  I bought 10 auction tickets and put 7 of them in the Cricut jar, one in the Apple watch jar , one ticket for yoga classes, and the last ticket in a spa package. I seriously thought i would win the Cricut but i won the apple watch and i was SO shocked!  So shocked that i didn't even verify which gift i won at first. I went straight to the Cricut and boxed it up with all the goodies that came with it like vinyl, the tools to use, etc and put them in the box. I was just about to walk away when a lady walked up and asked who she should talk to regarding one of the winnings. I told her if it was On hand on the table, she could take it but if its a certificate for something, a volunteer could help her. She said well i won the Cricut and so of course my head snapped back and i head said Wow- i won it too. She then showed me where her auction number was taped tot he plastic frame with picture of Cricut which i completely missed. HAHA!  So i said i wonder what i won, and that's when i saw my name on the Apple watch picture.  Then the lady with Cricut said she would trade but truth is I've been wanting the watch for a long time and really thought i would have got one for Christmas but i didn't.   I knew that so many people would be filling up that jar for the Apple watch and the likeliness of me winning was slim so i never even considered me winning it. YAY!!!
The guest speaker was amazing. Her name is Sandy Storm and she is a survivor from sex-trafficking. She's an author of 2 books and huge advocate for rehabilitation for human /sex trafficking. Her story was very moving and we were so lucky to have her speak to the huge audience.  We don't have our final numbers yet but i am pretty sure we beat what we raised last year which is so wonderful for a Nonprofit org. I got to see my good friend Melissa who actually got me into this group and she used to work with us at our "real"job.


Our director Abby

Sandy Storm


After the gala event, i had to switch gears and get trailer loaded for my junk show that was Friday night from 6 to 9 and Saturday 9 to 3.  Friday night went very well but Saturday we had a crazy monsoon rainstorm that lasted all day. I was so bummed because we literally only had a small handful of people show up to shop. I ended up shopping from others booths and bought a super fun huge birdcage topper with an idea for my Halloween party in mind. I still had great time and love making the junking connections and hanging out with my vendor buddies.
Vintage radio that will be perfect for Steampunk party

That's my cage! So excited




I am just so sad about the Notre Dame fires.  I've heard its under control now and that the main part of the foundation can be rebuilt.  So amazing that they were able to rescue many of the artifacts and treasures from the church.  Here are a few of my pics i took from last year when visiting there. I took tons of them but i don't have them all saved to laptop so maybe another time...




I sure hope you're having a great week so far!!

17 comments:

  1. Hi, Holli!

    You've had lots of excitement in recent days, dear friend! Congratulations on defying the odds and winning an Apple watch! Again I applaud you for your hard work behind the scenes and your support of the Refuge for Women. I am pleased to learn that sex trafficking survivor Sandy Storm drew a huge audience. I still say your big bright smile stole the show! I'm sorry the junk show fell victim to a rain storm on Saturday. Sunday night we got hit by a ferocious storm and our power was knocked out for 10 hours. It was awful not being able to run the air conditioner all that time. I love that vintage radio, and the birdcage looks exactly like the one that used to house our family pet - a Mexican parrot. The Notre Dame blaze is indeed a shock and a tragedy, but it could have been worse. You guys took some great pictures on your visit to Paris.

    Keep smiling that smile, dear friend Holli. It's a winner. Enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sooo cocky on winning the Cricut, i never thought i'd win the Apple watch but i love it!
      We are having atrocious storms blow in today with baseball hail so i'm scared because i have a new truck and no carport. Say a prayer!

      Delete
  2. I ditto the congrats and am also amazed that they had almost given up but ended up saving so much. I wanted to post about the fire- the metaphor of how Europe's faith had become just a shell. But God nudged me not to, and after seeing the cross still bright above the rubble, I realized that God does His own metaphors much better than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God is Good and knows your heart!
      So happy that they can rebuild.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on such a successful event and also on winning an Apple watch and airpods -- what great prizes! I have been to umpteen silent charity auctions over the decades and never once have I ever seen a gun or guns as items to be bid on. That's the difference between Canada and the US, I guess. I don't even think it's legal in Canada to have a gun as an auction item.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, this is Texas!! The 2 guns were the biggest draws.
      Craziness!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Holli! Congrats on the win! I think it's so cute that the lady asked if you wanted to trade! Great work for the Refuge for Women! The junk show looks like so much fun! Too bad about the rain! I still can't believe the fire! How horrible! One place I never got to visit! It is amazing how many artifacts they were able to save! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so proud to be a volunteer for RFW. Such a group i believe in.
      I am disappointed in the turnout for my junk show but it was so fun and i shopped my vendor friends. LOL
      Hugs!!!

      Delete
  5. Wow, that's a pretty good win, girlfriend! Not too shabby at all. And how cute you looked! Congrats!

    The Notre Dame fire broke my heart. Terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm SOOO blessed we got to see Notre Dame in her glory.
      I'm still learning about my watch because its fancy and has too many features. haha!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your Winnings! And I envy you got to see Notre Dame in person before this great catastrophe which has destroyed it, thanks for Sharing the Images, I was distraught to see it burning, 859 Years gone in a matter of minutes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and i both were just sick watching the footage of it burning . Its just so sad that it lasted all this time and Poof- the fire wipes it out.
      I already forgot my watch at home today because i'm not used to wearing one. HAHA! I have only ever one a bag of dog treats a few years so i was so surprised!!

      Delete
  7. I have travelled throughout France, including Paris, and feel just sick about what's happened. The beauty and significance of Notre Dame, Sacred Heart, Chartres, et al filled me with awe and peace. I pray that Notre Dame can be fully restored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sacred Heart was my next favorite after Notre Dame. It all is just so deep in history its incredible. I too was in awe. The donations are rolling in by the billions so it may be restored after all.

      Delete
  8. I can imagine the shock on your face when the lady told you that it was her sticker maker. And then, oh the glory that must've been your expression at the sight of your watch and earbuds. How cool!

    I miss going to events where people speak about issues everyone should be fighting to make better. Today is my last day of radiation, so... I figure that in a few weeks it will be safer for me to get out there. I still have to avoid events with children (NY is having a measles problem, and there are too many people refusing to vaccinate their children *sigh*).

    It's a terrible thing what happened in France. And to make things worse, they just capture a possible copycat (who happens to be an instructor at a college just minutes from us). The world is a messy place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're counting the days where you can be back in public and i'm so excited for you. So scary about the measles outbreak-ugh!!!
      I literally was so shocked that i actually won the apple watch off one ticket. I laughed when i put it in the jar thinking no way i'll win this.
      HOORAY for last day of radiation!!! Have a wonderfully blessed weekend.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your wins. I enjoyed your story about thinking you had won the cricut and packing it all up. Yes it is very sad about the fire at Notre-Dame Cathedral. I have read and seen a few photos of some miraculous things that didn't burn like the cross inside the building. Also the fact that 200,000 bees who lived on the roof survived the fire.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!