So , show of hands how many of you meditate and/or do
yoga? I suffer from great anxiety. It’s
a new thing for me as of last 3 years.
Its been getting worse- I’m sure it has nothing to do with what all life
has dealt me in the last few years. I
genuinely want to get into yoga and true deep meditations. I have my own version of meditating where
I’ll just sit alone and close my eyes and take deep breaths. When its not so hot or pouring down rain, I
like to walk outside to my back patio and I stare into my pool. When I was in
California, I can get lost in just watching the waves and the ocean come in.
Its therapeutic to me. I feel I have a
good start to learning meditation. I’ve been to a yoga class one time. It was a
few years ago and I had a free pass for 2 nights in a row and then that was
all. Mostly because it wasn’t close to
where I lived or worked so it was inconvenient to join that yoga studio. However, I enjoyed it. In fact, I am not a
sleeper and when I did yoga for those 2 nights, I slept SOOO good! And yet here I am years later with insomnia
and stress. I need to find a place local
that will help this 50something woman start from scratch on yoga and meditations.
I captured all these sayings from Pinterest. They are helpful minus not able to pronounce
some of those positions. Haha!
Do you have any helpful tips on meditation or yoga? I would
love to hear what helped you. A friend
of mine suggested finding a guided meditation app and having someone walk me
through it. I am going to do that . I am open to your suggestions. What do you do to calm yourself ? If I only I could just move to the ocean…….











Hi, Holli!
ReplyDeleteI thought I was the only person who relaxes by gazing into swimming pool water or watching the waves break to shore. It really works for me and I'm glad you discovered the technique.
Decades ago I learned a little something about yoga by watching Richard Hittleman's TV series Yoga For Health. Mrs. Shady has her own yoga mat and practices at home and also occasionally attends yoga classes including one in which they turn up the heat in the room to 90 degrees or more - a "sweat lodge" effect. I admire you for giving serious thought to yoga. I am sure it will relieve stress, calm and center you and enable you to sleep better at night. Those are powerful memes, especially the last few. Wise words, indeed.
Maybe Jax can teach you the puppy pose and downward dog position, or you could teach your old dog some new tricks. :)
Happy Thursday to you, dear friend Holli!
Jax can teach you the puppy pose... Good one, Shady! The only pose Scrappy could teach me anymore is the "pee on foot", and I doubt that would reduce my stress.
Delete:)
DeleteI am excited to give it a whirl!! Now I need to find a place close by that I can go to. Jax and Lila both are very good at their stretches when they get up from a nap, etc. Its so funny!
DeleteI have done both yoga and meditation, but I found that yoga was not good for me. Then I did some research and discovered it's not uncommon for someone with back issues to have problems with yoga. I have a difficult time in a classroom situation and meditation. For some reason my thoughts immediately go to whatever pain I have in my body and make it feel worse. On the other hand, I love going out to Coney Island and just sitting on the boardwalk and watching the ocean waves. I also put a nature sound app on my phone when I developed this ringing in my ears. Last night I dozed to the sound of gentle ocean waves and the other day I put early morning sounds on when I took a nap and focused on the birds chirping away. It was so wonderful.
ReplyDeleteOh I need to try the nature app. The sound of waves sounds amazing! Thank you for the tip. I have a bad back as well so i'm hoping it doesn't interfere with that once I get started. Well see....
DeleteI have not tried yoga or meditation but I'm sure I would benefit from it. Actually as I'm typing this I can feel stress in my shoulder...LOL! Hope you can find a place to go. Better yet, let's just go live on the beach.....
ReplyDeleteI like your idea of living on the beach!! :) Happy Friday
DeleteI knew an anxious woman years ago who got into yoga and meditation in a big way and it really helped her calm down and start to just glide through life. She did Buddhist meditation, if I recall correctly.
ReplyDeleteI've got to do something. I really hate that its getting worse as I get older . It cant hurt is what i'm thinking and it would be good for my body.
Deletesound exciting...I should try yoga...
ReplyDeletehave a great day
Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day as well
DeleteI used to do Yoga when Younger, but I still Meditate as often as I'm able. Can't do so many of the Advanced Yoga Positions at this Season of Life, it's something my diminished flexibility made rather painful.
ReplyDeleteDo you have any secrets on meditation? My mind is always running 1000 directions. I'm wondering if there is a low key for elderly yoga I can find? I have a bad back and i'm fat so I cant necessarily bend to my feet. LOL
DeleteThe first thing, I think, is to find something that you can always enjoy, something that doesn't bore you and then do it. I, for instance, have no patience for quiet or guided meditation. So, I visualize stories in my head. I can do while I walk, while I clean the house, while I garden, while I exercise, or (as I show in my latest post) while I'm in the middle of a medical procedure. Plotting stories I live in my head centers me, takes me away from the moment, and helps my mind and body relax.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see what you come up with!
Oh I like that idea a lot. The other voices in my head can keep me company while I visualize my stories. haha!!
DeleteI love what yoga does for my body, though I have to remind myself of that sometimes, because I tend to like to move around a lot. LOL I've listened to books on tape as I've gone through the postures and managed to get myself through that way.
ReplyDeleteI think tea ceremony serves as a form of active meditation for me, but I do really enjoy the quiet kind. It often serves as a much needed reset button for my brain.
Thanks Rommy, I will look into tea ceremony. I welcome all tips.
DeleteGreat post Holli! My advice, you don't need how to do meditation! Just close your eyes and go with the flow! I loved how you described everything at the beginning of your post! Meditation does help so much and it helps you heal too! It's amazing what things come up and you release them! My advice, try to meditate for at least an hour! Good luck with everything! Big Hugs!
ReplyDelete