Monday, April 1, 2019

Oddities and such


I had a busy weekend but it was a good one.  Friday wasn’t all that fun though, I had to get allergy testing done.  I’ve mentioned recently, that I’m really struggling with asthma. Its scary and I really need to get it under control so I looked up an asthma and allergy specialist.  I really like the Dr and he’s nice. Come to find out, I’m allergic to grass, trees, pollen, weeds and the main one is dust.  The good news is that I’m not allergic to dogs which I was pretty nervous about since both of ours sleep in bed with us. LOL
43 needle pricks



3 hours later still itchy


It sucks!!! I have never had asthma until 8 years ago and I used to live outside as a kid growing up.  I have a consultation in a few weeks to see what avenue I’ll be taking such as shots, nose drops, etc.   So that was a good time!!  My arms still have little tiny bruises down my arm today.  I also am not sleeping well because the inhaler that I have to do every night is keeping me awake.  Yay.

Saturday, my cousin Monya and I went downtown Dallas to Fair Park to enter a very different show. Its called Oddities and Curiosities and it was great!!  It was bigger than I thought it would be and it got crowded.  There was a lot of very interesting booths there and some great artists.  Lots of taxidermy and skulls of insects, rodents, and large animals which got a little boring after a while. I bought some candles that had pretty pictures, we both got t-shirts of the event, I got a bracelet and some pretty crystals and a few funny stickers.  I have a thing of doll head planters. I have lots of them around my house that have cactus plants in them.  So what was funny, my cousin said that the event looks like my house. I laughed and took it as a compliment. Haha!  Apparently, doll heads inspire many others. There were lots and lots of creations with doll parts. One booth took stuffed animals and replaced their faces with crazy scary faces.  So funny!  There was a display from Ripley's Believe it or not that houses a show in their building a few towns over. The show isn’t for everyone and many of the booths didn’t appeal to me but most of them did.  It was very fun and some talented artists were there. 


















  Later on that day, I got to spend 2 hours at the hospital to visit my friend who was in the car wreck. She’s improving a little each day but she has a long road. She very much is a brain injury patient with limited memory. It was so good to see her because she’s alive!!!               

Sunday, I joined a friend in Canton the huge flea market and it was a fun day. I got some vintage purses, some Harley floor mats and some plants.  Afterwards, I picked up my Mom who was staying with my uncle to assist him after his knee surgery. It was nice that she could help him out and they got to spend some good time together.   Now, I’m looking forward to hanging out with her.  When Nanny passed, Mom rearranged her outgoing flight because she had already just bought her ticket to fly in this month.  My niece is graduating high school next month so after that, mom will go home back to Montana.

I have one week to get final touches done for my junk show and the gala for Refuge for Women. I'm on the run now!

19 comments:

  1. Hi, Holli!

    I'm very sorry you developed allergies and needed to be pricked all those times getting tested. It is quite fortunate that you are not allergic to your own pets' hair. That would have been a disaster.

    It was fascinating to learn and see what you encountered at the Oddities and Curiosities show at the park in Dallas. Years ago when I was growing up I saw a two-headed calf and other natural and anatomical wonders in the "freak show" tent on the midway of the York Interstate Fair. The exhibit you visited was creepy, but it would surely have aroused my curiosity.

    I was just going to ask about your friend who was in the terrible accident. Thank goodness she's alive. I hope she can regain her memory and all her other faculties and heal completely from her injuries. She and you could both use a happy ending.

    I'm happy to know you are getting to spend some time with your mother before she returns to Montana. Talking to her will help you process the loss of Nanny. I admire you for working hard on your junk show and the Refuge gala.

    Have a safe and happy week, dear friend Holli!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy my visits with Mom. As I know firsthand, I take no loved one for granted! She had some old pictures and things that Nanny had saved and its been fun going through those.
      I am allergic to dust, trees, weeds, and grass. Great!! I have a consultation next month to see about shots, drops,etc for medication.
      I had so much fun at the show!! Lots of craziness and I loved it. LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh, I had that allergy test. Doctor ordered it because of constant sinus issues. Turned out I wasn't allergic to anything. I am glad to hear that your friend is improving and you got to see her. Flea markets can be so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so great that you're not allergic to anything. I just now recently developed these allergies which really sucks!!
      My friend has a long road but every day she has improvements which is so encouraging. Canton flea market is HUGE and very famous in Texas and surrounding states. It would take days to see all of it.

      Delete
  3. At first glance, I thought you had gotten tattoos! Sorry, my mistake. I would have loved to go to that Oddities and Curiosities sale. Apparently taxidermy is making a big comeback in gothic decor, I have heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Funny since I thought she got some kind of Oddities Tattoos also! *LOL*

      Delete
    2. I totally am game for a new tattoo but one that has more significance!! LOL! Yeah, there was snake spines, squirrel skulls, you name it- if a critter died, it was skinned and brought to the show. I see them all the time when I go out to the country to visit family. Nothing new to see.
      The artists there though was so cool and creative!

      Delete
  4. This may be encouraging, but I suffered terribly with asthma for 16 years while I lived on our "mini-farm" and now, two years after moving to my new place, I'm off all medicine. For me, it was location, location, location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Sadly, Dallas is one of the worst cities with allergies. I had a friend that moved to florida because she was so tired of getting allergy shots and dealing with getting sick all the time.
      I need to win the lottery so I could move to California!! I'm so glad you were able to get off all your meds. That's amazing!

      Delete
  5. Your allergy test looked itchy, poor thing, you had a lot of allergens that bothered you! That Oddities Show would have been right up my Alley of coarse and would have looked like my house too! *Winks* We definitely are Kindred Spirits! I liked the Bunny Mount and the Carnival Gaff Mermaid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: Glad to hear your Friend survived the car accident but TBI is a tough recovery and she may be very different afterwards. The Man is so different after his Brain Injury and it has taken years to get to where he is now. I pray her recovery goes well.

      Delete
    2. I figured you would appreciate that show for sure when I posted the pics.
      I have been praying everyday for my friends recovery. I know it takes time for her brain to heal. She's definitely got a long way to go. I could tell when I visited her.

      Delete
  6. Respiratory issues aren’t easy to deal with. I hope you can find a balance. For me, (almost) balance is found with exercise, medication, and some behavioral changes. Still, the little choking monster sneaks in to squeeze my throat every now and again.

    Love the creepies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No asthma is pretty dang scary!! I actually look forward to the next medicine plan - anything to help my breathing!!
      Girl, this was just a fraction of the creepy pictures I took. Some good stuff was there!

      Delete
  7. Ugh, sorry about your allergies - that stinks. But I'm glad you can still sleep with your dogs.

    That photo of the turtle shelled doll with many arms made me laugh.
    Be well and keep on keeping on, Holli.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I had this whole comment about the way I have been blessed on the allergy scale, but my son hasn't, and when I went to post it, Google informed me I "wasn't synched in" and ate my comment. Add to that I am hit by the Great Xfinity e-mail crash day two, and I am just about done for today....

    ReplyDelete
  9. My inhaler made my heart race and made me feel too on-edge to sleep well when I was young. Thankfully I don't need it too often anymore.

    I was at a similar sort of fair like the one you described when I visited a buddy of mine in NYC. It was super cool.

    Great news about your friend pulling through. I hope that she continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't have allergies or asthma until my 20's. I was pretty much allergic to those same things but also eggs, beef and mold. I took allergy shots for 10 years but never felt any different. I finally said to the doctor that I don't feel any different and he said then lets stop the shots!!! I pray that you will find something that works. That is definitely a show of oddities....OMG! Glad your friend is improving. Glad you've been having a nice time with your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry about the allergy test! Not fun!!! That Oddities and Curiosities show looks fantastic! Would love to go! I am so sorry about your friend! Glad she is improving! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!!!